Preity is a gift from the gods: Deepa MehtaMarch 14th, 2009 - 4:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 14 (IANS) NRI filmmaker Deepa Mehta, whose latest venture on domestic abuse, called “Videsh” in India and “Heaven on Earth” abroad, is ready for release in India, was so impressed by actress Preity Zinta’s intelligence and talent that she has no qualms in saying that she is a “gift from the gods”.
“Preity is extremely talented and for me truly a gift from the gods. I had seen her body of work but I met her for the first time at IIFA in England. We met and spoke about so many things and issues. I was blown away by her intelligence and social consciousness and that’s what made me offer her the role of Chand. She has truly given a mind-blowing performance,” Deepa told reporters at a press conference here late Friday.
Preity won the Best Actress award at the Chicago Film Festival last year for her performance in the film. She has also been nominated alongside Hollywood actress Susan Sarandon at this year’s Genie Awards that will take place in Canada in April.
The film, which revolves around the life of a young woman (Preity) from the rural hinterland of Punjab who migrates to Canada post marriage, is set to hit screens March 27. While it will be released as “Videsh” in India, it opened to international audiences as “Heaven On Earth”.
“‘Videsh’ is a film very close to my heart and I really enjoyed making it. The film is about two things. One, the triumph of imagination and two, about immigration and isolation,” explained Deepa, who has earlier made women-centric films like “Fire” and “Water”.
“Domestic abuse is the major theme of this film. But that’s not the only thing the film deals with. Domestic abuse has an environment and a socio-economic atmosphere. It can happen to anyone anywhere. I have also tried to portray the isolation and the pain of a woman who has migrated to another place,” she added.
The Canada-based filmmaker’s forthcoming projects are “Exclusion” with Akshay Kumar and a film based on Salman Rushdie’s book “Midnight’s Children”.
- 'Heaven On Earth' to be released as 'Videsh' in India - Feb 19, 2009
- Videsh - Heaven on Earth - Mar 13, 2009
- Deepa Mehta''s ''Videsh-Heaven on Earth'' ready for Bollywood release - Mar 13, 2009
- Is Deepa Mehta's Videsh similar to Provoked? - Mar 19, 2009
- Deepa Mehta's 'Videsh' a dream debut: actor Vansh Bhardwaj - Mar 17, 2009
- Preity Zinta nominated for Canada's Genie Awards - Feb 16, 2009
- Every scene in 'Videsh' is some woman's story: Preity Zinta - Mar 14, 2009
- Vansh Bharadwaj bags film opposite Lisa Ray n Shriya - Apr 24, 2009
- Actors should be like supermarkets: Shahid Kapoor (Film Snippets) - Jan 14, 2010
- Deepa's quality of work surprises husband Ketan Mehta - Sep 12, 2011
- Neil's retirement plans (Movie Snippets) - Aug 19, 2012
- Deepa Sahi ready with her directorial debut 'Tere Mere Phere' - Jan 10, 2011
- Movie Review: Videsh (2009) - Mar 27, 2009
- Preity feels thinnest, loses 10 kg in two years - Sep 01, 2012
- Deepika keen on women centric films - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: actress award, actress susan sarandon, akshay kumar, best actress, canada post, chand, chicago film festival, deepa mehta, domestic abuse, film deals, forthcoming projects, genie awards, gift from the gods, heaven on earth, hollywood actress, international audiences, preity zinta, salman rushdie, social consciousness, susan sarandon