Prakash Jha ’surprised’ over cancelled Lucknow showAugust 4th, 2011 - 3:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 4 (IANS) Filmmaker Prakash Jha is upset that the permission to stage a grand show in Lucknow to promote his forthcoming film “Aarakshan” was withdrawn by the Mayawati government at the eleventh hour. He says if people have a problem with the film, they should discuss it with him head on.
“I am surprised that the permissions were cancelled at the last minute. I just don’t understand what kind of problems people have with my film. Nobody has seen the film, and even if they have issues with the promos of the film, why can’t they point it out to me?” Jha said in a statement.
The event, a debate on the subject of the film - caste-based reservations in the Indian society - was to be held in Lucknow Wednesday. Film stars Amitabh Bachchan, Deepika Padukone, Manoj Bajpai and Prateik Babbar were to attend the event, along with Jha. But they were denied permission by the state administration on grounds of “apprehension of breach of peace”.
To this, Jha said: “For the last month my team had been in process of organising this debate in Lucknow and had got the approved permission from all authorities. Thus, this last-minute withdrawal without any stated reason is quite baffling.”
The film is set for release Aug 12, and the team has been touring different cities to promote it. From Patna, they skipped Lucknow, and flew directly to New Delhi Wednesday.
Bachchan, who plays a key role in the film, took to his blog to share his sentiments on being kept away from visiting Lucknow.
“It is strange to prevent us from coming into the city fearing a law and order situation, for the Censor Board has already given us a certificate for exhibition…a bit strange do you not think??” posted the 68-year-old.
- Mayawati government withdraws permission to 'Aarakshan' show - Aug 04, 2011
- RPI activists attacked my home, office: Prakash Jha (Lead, changing dateline) - Aug 06, 2011
- Prakash Jha's office, home attacked for 'Aarakshan' - Aug 06, 2011
- A 'school' with Saif as music teacher, Big B as principal - Jul 29, 2011
- Prakash Jha agrees to changes in 'Aarakshan' - Aug 11, 2011
- Jha ready to clear tribal panel's doubts on 'Aarakshan' - Jul 15, 2011
- Nitish Kumar is a simple and modest man: Big B - Aug 04, 2011
- Amitabh refrains from personal comments on 'Aarakshan' - Jun 13, 2011
- Our prayers are with Soniaji: Amitabh Bachchan - Aug 06, 2011
- 'Aarakshan' gets clean chit from censors - Jul 19, 2011
- No 'Aarakshan' preview for Scheduled Castes panel: Jha - Jul 16, 2011
- Prakash Jha agrees to 'appropriate cuts' in 'Aarakshan' (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Why is everybody up in arms against my film: Prakash Jha (Second Lead) - Aug 07, 2011
- No 'Aarakshan' in Indian film industry: Amitabh - Jul 13, 2011
- 'Aarakshan' about controversial reservation policies (IANS Preview) - Aug 08, 2011
Tags: amitabh bachchan, apprehension, authorities, babbar, breach of peace, caste, deepika padukone, eleventh hour, exhibition, film stars, forthcoming film, key role, last minute, law and order, manoj bajpai, New Delhi, promos, release aug, sentiments, state administration