Prachi Desai excited about playing don’s wife in Ekta’s filmApril 12th, 2009 - 8:29 am ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, April 12 (IANS) Prachi Desai has teamed up with mentor Ekta Kapoor for “Once Upon A Time”, in which she plays a don’s wife. Prachi did a lot of homework for the role of a Muslim working class girl in the 1970s, including visiting Muslim localities.
Prachi said she took up the role as she was bored of playing conventional roles. Playing a don’s wife was something she could’nt resist.
The role requires Prachi to look like a Muslim working-class girl in 1975 who gets involved with a don. Prachi along with Ekta has been catching up on all the video footage and hunting for clothes all over to prepare for the role.
She went to the Muslim localities of Mumbai last month, including Haji Ali, to pick up salwar-kameez suits.
“This character is from a time that existed before me. Yes, I’ve done plenty of reading on my character. I want to look and feel like Mehjabeen. And it’s such a challenge,” Prachi told IANS.
While Ekta is producing it, Milan Luthria will wield the megaphone.
“Doing a film with Balaji is like coming home. Shobha aunty, Jeetu (Jeetendra) uncle and Ekta are like family. I remained connected with them when I did ‘Rock On!’ because it was made by Ekta’s cousin Gattu (Abhishek Kapoor).
Though she didn’t want to play wife again, Prachi couldn’t resist this role.
“That’s true. I didn’t want to get into yet another wife’s role after ‘Rock On’ and ‘Life Partner’. Come on, yaar! I’m so young. I want to have fun and I keep getting these serious roles. But playing the don’s life partner in ‘Once Upon A Time…’ was a challenge that I couldn’t resist,” said Prachi, who made her big screen debut as Farhan Akhtar’s wife in “Rock On!”.
“My second film ‘Life Partner’ has Ekta’s brother Tusshar Kapoor as my co-star. And now I’m finally doing a Balaji production,” said Prachi who started her acting career with Ekta’s popular TV series “Kasamh Se”.
- Prachi Desai, Godmother Ekta Kapoor Go Shopping To Chor Bazaar - Apr 09, 2009
- All set for makeover: Prachi Desai - Aug 25, 2011
- Prachi happy to play her age in 'I, Me Aur Main' - Jun 24, 2012
- Unfortunate that Emraan's kisses still make news: Prachi Desai - Jul 14, 2010
- No more films for Sonali after 'Once Upon...' - Aug 22, 2012
- Outsiders are not taken seriously in Bollywood: Prachi Desai - Jul 04, 2012
- Prachi, Neha thank moms for their support - May 10, 2012
- I'm not going back to TV: Prachi Desai - May 12, 2012
- Bengali version of 'Dirty Picture' stalled, Rakhi upset (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Bengali version of 'Dirty Picture' stalled, Rakhi depressed - Jul 06, 2012
- Waited long to play my age on screen: Prachi Desai - Apr 11, 2012
- Prachi Desai turns down Ekta Kapoor, Mahesh Bhatt films - Nov 07, 2008
- I wasn't uncomfortable doing intimate scenes: Prachi Desai - Aug 05, 2009
- TV is stepping stone to films, says actor Gautam Gulati (With Images) - Aug 05, 2012
- Tusshar takes Ekta's criticism positively - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: abhishek kapoor, acting career, balaji, co star, coming home, ekta kapoor, farhan akhtar, film life, jeetu, life partner, localities, megaphone, mumbai, popular tv series, prachi desai, screen debut, subhash k jha, tusshar kapoor, video footage, yaar