Post PAYING GUESTS, Bollywood waits for an elusive hitJune 23rd, 2009 - 2:18 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
By Joginder Tuteja
PAYING GUESTS has released and turned out to be yet another film that would hardly bring smiles back on the faces of exhibitors, distributors and most importantly audiences. Touted to be a ‘dhamaal’ comedy affair, PAYING GUESTS has turned out to be yet another damp squib in a terrible 2009.
No, PAYING GUESTS isn’t a boring affair. It’s just that it isn’t entertaining enough to make you truly and completely glued to the screen and entice you to recommend it amongst your friends. Even with the presence of a seasoned comedian like Johny Lever, the film isn’t a riot that one expected. From the lead actors, Javed Jaffrey follows Shreyas in bringing in some laughs but Ashish Chaudhary and Vatsal Sheth are barely there.
And less said about the leading ladies, the better. While Celina Jaitley can still take solace from the fact that she has the largest screen presence amongst the lot and plays her mooney eyed girl act well, Sayali Bhagat appears out of place. Riya Sen doesn’t have any role to talk about while one seriously feels bad for Neha Dhupia to have found herself completely under-utilised in her barely three scene act.
So is the movie completely devoid of laughs? No, not exactly and that’s some small mercy on the viewers here. There are a few scenes that do make you roll over with laughter, especially the ones with Shreyas in drag. However, such sequences are far and few and how one wishes that there was more to choose from for the audiences.
To think of it, the film doesn’t even have the kind of subject that really deserved a cinematic outing. What works on stage may not necessarily make for a interesting feature film outing. That’s proven once again in case of PAYING GUESTS which is based on a namesake play.
All said and done, Bollywood would now have to look forward to another Friday for it’s much elusive money spinner. -Sampurn Media
- Movie Review: Paying Guests (2009) - Jun 19, 2009
- This Friday, all eyes on PAYING GUESTS - Jun 19, 2009
- Paying Guests sets Box Office bells ringing for Mukta Arts - Jun 24, 2009
- Subhash Ghai Announces PAYING GUESTS 2 - Jun 25, 2009
- Kajol and Vatsal Sheth family? - Feb 17, 2010
- 'Hostel', a film on horrors of ragging - Dec 19, 2010
- Starry turnout at Shreyas Talpade's Birthday bash! - Jan 29, 2010
- 'Paying Guests' - a failed attempt at comedy (IANS Film Review, Rating: *) - Jun 20, 2009
- Paritosh Painter's Paying Guest now coming on 19th June - Jun 07, 2009
- Shreyas Talpade learns why women take time to dress up (With Images) - May 13, 2009
- Celina Jaitley denied entry in dad's Bangkok pub - May 04, 2009
- No glam-doll image for Sayali Bhagat - Jun 04, 2009
- Sayali Bhagat has a variety of films on hand - Jun 02, 2009
- Action scenes in 'The Green Hornet' terrified comedian Seth Rogen - Jan 11, 2011
- 'Joker': A fun original village tale of aliens (IANS Hindi Film Review) - Sep 01, 2012
Tags: ashish chaudhary, audiences, celina jaitley, comedian, damp squib, exhibitors, eyed girl, feature film, joginder, johny lever, laughs, money spinner, namesake, neha dhupia, riot, riya sen, screen presence, small mercy, solace, vatsal sheth