Portuguese film ‘The Consul of Bordeaux’ to open IFFI 2012November 12th, 2011 - 7:12 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Nov 12 (IANS) Portuguese director Manuel Gonzales’ “The Consul of Bordeaux” will open the 42nd edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) here Nov 23.
Speaking to reporters here, IFFI director Shankar Mohan said that the theme of the festival was ‘Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam’ (The Whole World is One Family) and that Gonsalez’s film, which is about a diplomat’s efforts to salvage lives in Nazi-occupied Europe during World War II, fitted the bill perfectly.
“Our screening committee and the film programme committee thought that ‘The Consul of Bordeaux’ put across the theme of the festival in a most convincing manner,” Mohan said.
The 2011 award winning film is based on the life of Portuguese consul general Aristides de Sousa Mendes in Bordeaux (France), who helped thousands of Jewish refugees to escape the country after Hitler’s forces invaded Belgium and the Netherlands in May 1940.
“It is a story of person who saved thousands of lives in duress. It will set the ball rolling for the festival which has a theme of ‘Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam’,” Mohan said.
“We chose this film from the 500 odd international films which were viewed by the IFFI’s preview committee,” he said.
The IFFI will conclude Dec 3.
- Portuguese consul's sacrifice bigger than Schindler's: Filmmaker - Nov 28, 2011
- Lifetime award in India a paradox: Filmmaker Bertrand Tavernier - Nov 24, 2011
- Matching global trends, IFFI tries many firsts - Nov 11, 2011
- IFFI aims to be 'people friendly' - Sep 05, 2011
- IFFI to be part of Incredible India campaign: Official - Nov 12, 2011
- Celebrating India at cultural festival in Berlin - Jul 02, 2011
- IFFI organisers use football to warm up Goans to films - Nov 11, 2011
- No screening of Husain's film at IFFI - Nov 27, 2011
- Tags to Raj Kapoor lounge - sponsors chip in at IFFI - Nov 18, 2011
- Goa fails to bite IFFI's soccer bite - Nov 29, 2011
- Husain documentary to be screened at IFFI - Nov 29, 2011
- Goa freedom fighters protest celebration of Portuguese arrival - Nov 11, 2010
- IFFI director refutes reports on Iranian jury member quitting panel - Nov 29, 2011
- Document provides proof of French Nazi leader's anti-Semitism: Expert - Oct 04, 2010
- Indian Panorama section at IFFI to screen 47 films - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: 1940, aristides de sousa mendes, bordeaux france, consul general, convincing manner, de sousa, diplomat, director shankar, duress, hitler, international film festival, international films, jewish refugees, manuel gonzales, mohan, nazi, portuguese, salvage, screening committee, world war ii