Portman supports gay marriageJune 8th, 2011 - 6:39 am ICT by IANS
London, June 8 (IANS) Hollywood actress Natalie Portman and her fiance Benjamin Millepied support gay marriage and have signed campaign group Freedom to Marry’s letter to president Barack Obama, urging him to consider marriage rights of gay couples.
Millepied and the Oscar-winning actress, who is expecting their first child, believe all US citizens should have the right to wed. They have joined more than 100,000 people in supporting the campaign, reports femalefirst.co.uk.
“Natalie Portman and her fiance, Benjamin Millepied, are in love, and believe all loving couples should be able to share in the freedom to marry without discrimination. That is why they are joining the more than 100,000 people on Freedom to Marry’s Say, I Do Open Letter calling on the president to do the right think and become part of America’s majority for marriage,” said Evan Wolfson, president of Freedom to Marry.
Other celebrities who had previously signed the letter - which asks Obama to “clarify” the situation about gay marriage in the US - include openly lesbian “Glee” star Jane Lynch, actress Anne Hathaway and Martin Sheen.
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have indicated they would not get married until gay couples have the right to do so in America.
- Anne Hathaway supports gay marriage - Mar 16, 2011
- Is Natalie Portman married? - Feb 28, 2012
- Portman gives birth to baby boy - Jun 15, 2011
- Natalie Portman marries Benjamin Millepied - Aug 06, 2012
- 'Indescribably happy' Portman announces she's engaged and pregnant - Dec 28, 2010
- Politician criticised Portman over pregnancy - Mar 05, 2011
- Portman not in rush for another baby - Aug 20, 2012
- Portman to campaign for Obama - Aug 26, 2012
- Benjamin Millepied And Natalie Portman Attend "Black Swan" Premiere - Sep 03, 2010
- Natalie Portman fell in love with fiance as they danced for 'Black Swan' - Jan 21, 2011
- Portman praises fiance at Oscars - Mar 01, 2011
- Natalie Portman feels like an old hag - Feb 05, 2011
- Natalie Portman And Benjamin Millepied Are Expecting Their First Baby - Dec 28, 2010
- Portman planning movie hiatus - Jan 16, 2011
- Natalie Portman Wins Golden Globe Award For "Black Swan" - Jan 17, 2011
Tags: actress natalie portman, angelina jolie, anne hathaway, barack obama, benjamin millepied, brad pitt and angelina, brad pitt and angelina jolie, campaign group, evan wolfson, femalefirst, gay couples, gay marriage, hollywood actress, jane lynch, loving couples, marriage rights, martin sheen, natalie portman, pitt and angelina, pitt and angelina jolie