Pop icon Madonna inspires Indian designer at Fashion WeekNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:19 am ICT by admin
Working around three basic colours - black, white and hot pink, she put up a collection of classy cocktail dresses in sheer fabrics of georgettes and chiffons.
Short funky dresses in chessboard designs stood out for their simple cuts and feminine elegance.
“The theme of collection is Madonna Affliction. It signifies reinventing yourself, because Madonna is a pop icon who keeps on reinventing herself. It’s a very young collection and it’s very elegant,” said Thirani.
Meanwhile, debutante designer Kunal Rawal’s casual and chic men’s wear for the coming Spring-Summer 2008 titled ‘Free Hugs’, carried hints of the 80’s era to suit the modern-day male.
Relaxed and comfortable clothing in a mix of flashy neons, racy acidic colours with shades of blue, white and grey, brought in a dash of freshness that embodies the spirit of spring-summer.
Bermudas, shirts, pullovers, hooded jackets, jumpers and semi-formal wear completed the couture.
Minimalist style detailing and bright slogans created a synergy between psychedelic and simplicity.
“The idea is to focus on comfort and relaxed clothing. I don’t think anyone is taking care of designer casual wear in India. I think it’s a very big market especially for a country like India that is being hit by globalisation so hard and so fast,” said Rawal.
The fashion week has seen designers experimenting with strong colours rather than seasonal whites and muted pastels.
LFW is the first event independently organised by fashion accessories major, Lakme.
Lakme had sponsored the last three India Fashion Weeks. However, it branched off to move on its own after FDCI announced it would be holding separate fashion weeks for the spring/summer and fall/winter collections from 2006 and the two organisations could not agree to the sponsorship amount for the events.
LFW involves events like media seminars, business-to-business meetings and a buyers’ forum, apart from regular fashion shows. (ANI)
- Dhoti-clad Prateik walks the ramp for Masaba - Mar 02, 2012
- Zayed Khan loves shopping from fashion streets (With Images) - Mar 15, 2011
- Debarun Mukherjee's love for saris continues at LFW - Mar 04, 2012
- 'I AM' team present at Anita Dongre's LFW show - Mar 14, 2011
- Designers work overtime, say WIFW important for business - Apr 01, 2011
- Festive wear to dominate LFW runway (Preview) - Sep 16, 2010
- Standing ovation for Kallol, Pankaj and Nidhi at LFW finale - Aug 08, 2012
- Manish Malhotra to promote Indian crafts, craftsmen at LFW - Mar 09, 2011
- Props, stilt dancers, fairytale ambiance...LFW finale spelt grandeur - Mar 16, 2011
- Manish Malhotra to be LFW grand finale designer - Jul 05, 2011
- Rina Dhaka returns to LFW after two years - Aug 18, 2011
- Shivan-Narresh to showcase swimwear at Miami (With images) - Jun 12, 2011
- Wearability factor gets prominence at LFW - Aug 05, 2012
- Malaika and Amrita walk the ramp for Vikram Phadnis - Mar 03, 2012
- Yuvika Chaudhury to be showstopper for Sabah Khan at LFW - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: affliction, cocktail dresses, colours, elegant collection, fashion week, fashion weeks, fdci, free hugs, funky dresses, hooded jackets, india fashion, lakme, minimalist style, pop icon madonna, reinventing yourself, semi formal wear, sheer fabrics, spirit, spring summer, young collection