Pookutty to turn director to tell father-son storyOctober 29th, 2010 - 5:41 pm ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, Oct 29 (IANS) Oscar winning sound designer Resul Pookutty is all set to turn director with a film starring Amitabh Bachchan.
Pookutty’s film will be an emotional father-son story that he has been scripting for some time.
“It’s something that I’ve been toying with for a long time. But to turn director I need to set aside my work in sound and devote myself entirely to that one thing. At the moment I’m working on the sound for my second international project,” said Pookutty, 37.
“It’s really too early to talk about it. But yes it is a very emotional father-son subject. I’m a great fan of the work of Ritwik Ghatak and by extension a fan of Ghatak’s disciple Sanjay Leela Bhansali. My film would be from that school. I love the melodrama that underlines the life of characters on screen,” he said.
Pookutty says he immediately thought of Amitabh for the movie.
“You can’t blame me for thinking of the best, can you?” says the sound designer currently enjoying the success of his sound design in “Robot”.
His second international project is titled “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel” and will be shot in Rajasthan and other parts of India gives Pookutty a chance to work with the young “Slumdog…” star Dev Patel once again. But it is the film’s director John Madden that he is most excited to be working with.
“I’ve been in love with Madden’s film ‘Shakespeare In Love’. And now I’m getting to work with him and some of the most accomplished British actors like Dame Judi Dench, Julie Christie, Tom Wilkinson and Peter O’Toole,” said Pookutty.
He is the only Indian in the crew. “Fox Searchlight, who had produced ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ specially asked for me. It feels like a great honour. For the first time since ‘Slumdog ’ I’ll be doing live sound mixing.”
With projects like these coming his way Pookutty finds it hard to wrench himself into a different direction.
- Resul Pookutty Ropes In Amitabh Bachchan For His Directorial Venture - Nov 01, 2010
- I don't compare myself with Freida: Tena Desae (With image) - May 27, 2012
- 'The Best Exotic...' takes gentle look at India: Lillete Dubey - May 20, 2012
- I was nervous about 'The Best Exotic...' weighty cast: Dev Patel (With Images) - May 14, 2012
- Resul Pookutty wanted to win a Physics Nobel prize - Nov 27, 2010
- Two Indians and Liv Ullmann - in one film - Dec 14, 2011
- Bollywood debutant gets Hollywood chance with Dev Patel - Feb 15, 2011
- Kissing scenes scare Tena Desae - Aug 22, 2012
- 'The Best Exotic Marigold...' an exotic film, must watch! (IANS Movie Review) - May 18, 2012
- Big B introduces 'RA.One' game in movie - Oct 08, 2011
- Our films should carry the Bollywood stamp: Sanjay Leela Bhansali (Interview) - Nov 03, 2011
- Resul Pookutty to work on Tamil film '3' - Jan 19, 2012
- Pookutty, Rahman autobiographies coming out this year - May 10, 2010
- Resul Pookutty to file RTI against multiplexes after Robot's screening debacle - Oct 07, 2010
- Resul Pookutty, Boman Irani plan workshops at film festival - Nov 15, 2010
Tags: amitabh bachchan, british actors, dame judi dench, director john, disciple, emotional father, film shakespeare, fox searchlight, ghatak, honour, john madden, judi dench, julie christie, marigold, melodrama, peter o toole, sanjay leela, shakespeare in love, subhash k jha, tom wilkinson