Political leaders pay tribute to Rajesh KhannaJuly 18th, 2012 - 8:49 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 18 (IANS) Maharashtra Governor K. Sankaranarayanan Wednesday said Rajesh Khanna was a superstar and will remain so in the hearts of his fans.
In a tribute, he said: “He was a heartthrob of three generations who scaled unprecedented heights of popularity during his remarkable career. He infused life into each of the roles that he portrayed with great aplomb.”
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said Rajesh Khanna’s demise spells the end of an era in Bollywood.
“When he was elected MP from New Delhi and till his tenure ended, he did not accept a single movie assignment, and he campaigned for me twice in Karad Lok Sabha constituency,” said Chavan adding that Rajesh Khanna achieved stardom in a relatively short period and besides the film industry, ruled over the hearts of millions of fans.
Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar said his death is “an irreparable loss” to the Indian film industry.
Eknath Khadse, Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) Leader of Opposition in Assembly, said he was extremely popular among Indian audiences and remained so till his end.
BJP’s Leader of Opposition in the Council Vinod Tawde said the “first Superstar of Bollywood, who was the ‘Anand’ (happiness) of his admirers and fans is no more with us”.
Tourism Minister Chhagan Bhujbal said “an era of style and popularity has ended” with Rajesh Khanna’s demise.
Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh said we have lost a “great entertainer” whose popularity reached phenomenal heights when he was at the top.
Union Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said we have lost a truly versatile actor and Superstar of the yesteryears.
- Rajesh Khanna, Bollywood's first superstar, no more (Roundup) - Jul 18, 2012
- We will miss our first hero: Kaka's female fans - Jul 18, 2012
- Grandson Aarav lights Rajesh Khanna's pyre (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- President, PM mourn Rajesh Khanna's death (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- PM mourns Rajesh Khanna's death - Jul 18, 2012
- Veteran socialist leader Mrinal Gore dead (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Maharashtra politicians condemn Pawar attack - Nov 24, 2011
- Sonia expresses grief over Rajesh Khanna's demise - Jul 18, 2012
- Politicians mourn Shammi Kapoor's death - Aug 14, 2011
- Ambedkar memorial work to be speeded up, says PM - Aug 18, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna dead (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Pakistani PM condoles Rajesh Khanna's death - Jul 18, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna fine, says family - Jun 21, 2012
- Activist seeks transparency in Maharahstra RTI chief's selection - Oct 07, 2010
- Sankaranarayanan, Chavan pay tribute to Shekhawat (Lead) - May 16, 2010
Tags: ajit pawar, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, chavan, chhagan bhujbal, deputy chief minister, indian audiences, indian film industry, irreparable loss, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, prithviraj, rajesh khanna, sabha constituency, sankaranarayanan, sushilkumar shinde, three generations, unprecedented heights, versatile actor, vilasrao deshmukh