Political film family in a spot over car accidentSeptember 15th, 2008 - 11:58 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 15 (IANS) The family of Tamil actor Silambarasan and his thespian-turned-politician father Vijay T. Rajendherr could be in trouble after their car was allegedly involved in a hit-and-run accident in which one person was killed, police said Monday.A car belonging to the family hit a motorcycle, killing one of the riders, on Sep 11 in East Coast Road - the scene of many accidents due to drunken driving. The car was found deserted there.
Police sources said the matter was complicated.
“Usha (wife of Rajendherr) wanted to discipline her sons (Silambarasan and Kuralarasan) known for partying virtually every day. Chauffer Vasant Kumar was ordered to bring the car home without their knowledge to teach them a lesson. The identity of the person behind the wheel during the accident is not known,” the source said, wishing anonymity.
Police are on the lookout for the chauffer.
Kuralarasan was unavailable for comment.
Vijay T. Rajendherr has threatened to sue the media for defaming his sons - Silambarasan and Kuralarasan - over the hit-and-run accident.
“My political opponents who have targeted my defenceless sons in a vicious attack will face punitive legal action because the car was reported stolen,” Rajendherr told IANS.
In a separate statement, Silambarasan claimed innocence as he was out of the country at the time of the incident.
“I was in Sri Lanka between Sep 3 and 14, and the accident took place on Sep 11. A police complaint has been registered by our mother (Usha Rajendherr) in this regard before the accident,” Silambarasan said.
Rajendherr, a legislator elected on the ruling DMK ticket, is a critic of the party.
He is prominently featured on Sun TV, a channel owned by the Marans - the estranged grand nephews of Chief Minister and DMK president M. Karunanidhi.
- Court sends activist's death probe to crime branch (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Team Anna's candlelight march for dead activist Balwani - May 20, 2012
- Man runs over girlfriend with wife's car - Jul 11, 2011
- Actor John Abraham detained - Mar 09, 2012
- Miley Cyrus caught in new car accident - Sep 18, 2010
- Actress Cathy Moriarty Involved In A Hit-And-Run Accident - Nov 07, 2010
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay - Jan 11, 2012
- BMW case: SC frees three convicted for proof tampering - Aug 01, 2012
- Speeding Mercedes kills man, driver held - Jan 09, 2012
- Alistair Pereira surrenders in hit and run case - Jan 16, 2012
- Alexis Cohen's Killer Indicted By Ocean County Jury - Jul 11, 2010
- BMW case: Police plea for test identification rejected - May 17, 2012
- Man crushed to death - Jan 14, 2011
- Speeding car injures five - Apr 21, 2012
- Gurgaon BMW hit-and-run: Order on police plea reserved - May 16, 2012
Tags: actor silambarasan, anonymity, car accident, chief minister, innocence, legislator, m karunanidhi, marans, nephews, partying, police complaint, police sources, political film, political opponents, politician, sep 11, silambarasan, sun tv, usha, vicious attack