Police officer arrested for attack on scribeMay 21st, 2011 - 2:52 pm ICT by IANS
Kollam (Kerala), May 21 (IANS) A senior police officer, who allegedly played a role in a brutal attack on journalist V.B. Unnithan, was arrested Saturday, police said.
Santhosh M. Nair, a deputy superintendent of police, has been arrested for his involvement in the April 16 attack, said S. Sreejith, deputy inspector general of Kerala Police.
“Nair will be now presented in a court in Kollam. The accused owned up to the attack on Unnithan and he has been arraigned as an accused. Already four people are in judicial custody,” Sreejith told IANS.
Unnithan, who works for vernacular daily ‘Mathrubhumi’, was attacked by a group of armed men when he was returning from work on April 16. The severely injured scribe was taken to a hospital and is yet to be discharged.
Earlier, protests were raised in the media at the slow progress of investigations in the case. After a series of protest marches by journalists, the government took up the probe seriously and Sreejith was appointed to head the inquiry. A major breakthrough came when early this week, police arrested the prime accused Santhosh, a businessman.
Sreejith said the arrested police officer allegedly had a grouse against the scribe who had last year reported about some undesirable activities in which the now arrested police officer was involved.
- Kerala Police officer held for attack on journalist - Apr 16, 2012
- Kerala Police, CBI in stand-off - Apr 23, 2012
- Three Indian journalists killed: watchdog - Jun 14, 2011
- Three Indian journalists killed in six months (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Kerala government faces ire over 'murder' of Bihari youth - Aug 18, 2012
- Italian crewmen sent to 14 days custody - Feb 20, 2012
- Body recovered from boat wreck off Kerala coast - Mar 05, 2012
- Two Italian crew members brought off ship (Second Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Shooting row: Italian minister heads to India (Round up) - Feb 21, 2012
- Maudany's wife gets to meet him in jail - Sep 22, 2010
- Chhattisgarh journalists protest colleagues' killings - Jan 31, 2011
- Maudany's wife seeks bail relaxation to meet husband - Sep 20, 2010
- Woman journalist charged for J. Dey murder (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Dey murder: Chargesheet filed against scribe Jigna Vora - Feb 21, 2012
- Kerala boat hit-and-run: Cargo ship sailor arrested - Mar 08, 2012
Tags: armed men, brutal attack, businessman, deputy inspector general, deputy superintendent, grouse, investigations, journalist, journalists, judicial custody, kerala police, mathrubhumi, nair, police officer, protest marches, protests, santhosh, scribe, slow progress, undesirable activities