Pocket umbrellas prove popular in KeralaJuly 17th, 2008 - 9:20 pm ICT by ANI
By Juhan Samuel
Allapuzha (Kerala), July 17 (ANI): Most of us feel irritated to carry along umbrellas and keep an eye on there whereabouts the entire day. But five fold Nano umbrellas, which can be folded back to our pocket size, have hit the Kerala markets here.
Weighing barely 225 grams andthese Nano umbrellas, which can be reduced to as small as 6 inches after five folds, are a major hit here.
Available in trendy colours and varying shapes, these umbrellas have gained popularity due to their compact shape and size in comparison to conventional umbrellas.
”Nano” is one such design introduced by Popy umbrella Mart of Allapuzha (formerly Alleppy) in Kerala. As kids segment has always been the prime target of the umbrella manufacturers, this year the ”Wonder 7” umbrellas for kids segment are selling like hot cakes.
Various characteristics of this umbrella attract kids attention like magnifying lens, whistle, mirror, compass and other features.
For shopkeepers, these umbrellas are a profitable deal.
While kids” umbrellas are priced between rupees 100 and 300, designer umbrellas can cost anywhere between Rs. 300 to 1,000.
“This year we introduced the five times foldable umbrella named ”Nano”. It is very convenient to carry while travelling. For children, we have introduced a new umbrella named ”Wonder 7”. Behind this umbrella we have arranged a torch, compass, thermometer, whistle, mirror and a magnifying glass. We are selling this umbrella at rupees 200 per piece. The sale of both the umbrellas is quite impressive,” claimed Zachariah, Managing Director, Popy Umbrella Mart, Allapuzha.
”Nano” umbrella is made out of thinner filament yarn, carbon ribs and aluminum handle to make it light weight. Its competitor is John’’s Umbrella called ”Atom Model Umbrella”.
People are happy to have such a small umbrella available in the market.
“It is a very beautiful umbrella and we just bought one. It has become a tradition that every year the school children are asking for a new umbrella and Popy is introducing varieties of it. In this competition of introducing new items, Popy is leading the market. This ”Wonder 7” umbrella is a very beautiful and a lot of kids are drawn to it,” said Ponnumon, a customer.
Companies have started importing ready to assemble accessories from Taiwan and China. Many have even started outsourcing the assembled readymade umbrellas to makers or brand owners of such rain protection aids.
In Kerala, activities related to the umbrella market start off from mid-March and peak during the southwest Monsoon (June to July). (ANI)
- Now, a foldable smartphone screen - May 15, 2011
- Renault launches Scala sedan - Sep 07, 2012
- Tata Motors tweaks Nano, claims improved mileage - Nov 21, 2011
- Nissan to unveil diesel variant of Micra in India - Nov 25, 2010
- India to host Global Tourism Mart - Sep 08, 2011
- Bajaj eyes 25 percent share in bikes market this year - Apr 21, 2011
- Goa ties up with Berlin tourism fest - Sep 10, 2011
- HP eyes 21.5 percent market share in consumer notebook segment - Jun 20, 2012
- Tata plans 100 utility vehicle showrooms - Aug 10, 2011
- Renault unveils new variant of Fluence sedan - Apr 03, 2012
- Kinetic Engineering to launch two new gearboxes - Jan 17, 2012
- TATA honcho Irani says Nano has huge potential - Nov 12, 2009
- India can tap booming gay tourism sector: Tour promoter - Oct 21, 2011
- Nano materials can enhance lifespan of machines - Dec 09, 2010
- Muslim migration up in Kerala, Christians lose (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
Tags: atom model, compact shape, competitor, filament yarn, foldable umbrella, hot cakes, july 17, kerala, magnifying glass, magnifying lens, managing director, mirror compass, prime target, profitable deal, ribs, rupees, thermometer, umbrella manufacturers, umbrellas, whistle