Please stop comparing my film with ‘Provoked’: Deepa MehtaApril 1st, 2009 - 2:34 pm ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, April 1 (IANS) Canada-based Indian filmmaker Deepa Mehta is fed up of being asked if her film “Heaven On Earth” is similar to Jagmohan Mundhra’s “Provoked”, since both films are about domestic violence.
“I am tired of being asked how I feel about ‘Provoked’. How am I supposed to feel about it? There’re so many love stories being made. Would you compare ‘Saawariya’ with ‘Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na’? Just because it’s about domestic violence, it doesn’t follow that our films have any similarity,” Mehta told IANS.
“Shakespeare has said there are only three stories. It’s how you tell those stories that makes all the difference in the world. People should stop comparing my film to ‘Provoked’ even without having seen it,” added Mehta, a director best known for her Elements Trilogy - “Fire”, “1947: Earth” and “Water”.
Mundhra says: “I haven’t seen ‘Heaven On Earth’, but I’d like to. As far as comparing ‘Provoked’ with ‘Heaven On Earth’ is concerned, I’m glad my film has set a benchmark for films on domestic violence.”
He, however, refuses to see domestic violence as a formula for celluloid drama.
“Certainly not! But the fear of being labelled exploitative should not stop a filmmaker from telling the story of what goes on behind closed doors,” said Mundhra.
- Deepa's different 'domestic violence' issue - Apr 01, 2009
- Filmmaker Jagmohan Mundhra dies of cardiac arrest - Sep 04, 2011
- Shabana, Deepti remember Jagmohan Mundhra - Sep 07, 2011
- Actors should be like supermarkets: Shahid Kapoor (Film Snippets) - Jan 14, 2010
- Deepa Mehta's 'Heaven On Earth' passed without single cut - Mar 23, 2009
- Deepa Mehta Threatens To Withdraw Film From India - Mar 23, 2009
- I'm not doing 'Midnight's Children': Nandita Das - Feb 24, 2011
- Jagmohan hosted people from India in LA: Shekhar Kapur - Sep 04, 2011
- 'Heaven On Earth' about hundreds of migrant wives: Deepa Mehta - Mar 26, 2009
- Under 25 can't drink alcohol, Bollywood reacts - Jun 04, 2011
- The audience will love me on the big screen-Anuuj Saxena - Apr 23, 2010
- Is Deepa Mehta's Videsh similar to Provoked? - Mar 19, 2009
- Deepa Mehta's double celebration at Dubai film fest - Dec 15, 2008
- "If The Character Demands, I'd Audition Even My Tv Actress-Wife Indu Before Casting Her": Abhishek Sharma - Jul 06, 2010
- Absolute authenticity is the hallmark of 'Heaven on Earth'(IANS Film Review, Rating:****) - Mar 26, 2009
Tags: april 1, benchmark, canada, closed doors, deepa mehta, domestic violence, elements, fear, film heaven, films, heaven on earth, indian filmmaker, love stories, mumbai, shakespeare, similarity, subhash k jha, trilogy