Playing Madhubala biggest challenge for me: KanganaMarch 29th, 2009 - 8:52 am ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, March 29 (IANS) Kangana Ranaut is set to play the legendary Madhubala in a film titled “Once Upon A Time”, but she says looking as beautiful as the late actress is a challenge.
“I’ve never thought of myself as beautiful. In fact, I’ve always suffered from low self-esteem. Till recently I’d look at my pictures and cringe. I still have the pictures from my first portfolio I got done in Chandigarh. They remind me of how ugly I can look. And to now play Madhubala in ‘Once Upon A Time In Mumbai’ - how will I do it?” Kangana said.
Set in Mumbai, “Once Upon a Time” is about Madhubala who was said to be the love interest of the 1960s underworld don Haji Mastan. While Kangana plays Madhubala, Ajay Devgan will essay the role of Haji Mastan in the movie being produced by Ekta Kapoor.
Milan Luthria, who has directed films like “Taxi No. 9211″ and “Hattrick”, wields the megaphone for the movie.
“Madhubala’s role is not as tragic as my other roles. It’s basically a very tender romance between this really funny don and this female superstar who can’t understand his personality,” Kangana told IANS.
“How will I manage to play the most beautiful woman that Indian cinema has ever seen? My characters have always had a dark and light side. And this one is no exception. But the challenge for me is to look almost ethereally beautiful, like Madhubala. How will I manage that?”
Kangana intends to undergo a complete transformation as far as looks are concerned. And she has already started watching DVDs of Madhubala’s films to prepare for the role.
“I won’t copy her, but I want to get into her mind and heartspace.”
Kangana, who played the main lead in “Woh Lamhe”, a semi-autobiography of Parveen Babi’s life, laughs when people tell her playing the traumatised love interest of the underworld don would be a cakewalk for her.
“I’m proud of my so-called territory as an actress. If playing traumatised women is my territory, then I’m glad because I know I’m good at it,” she said.
- My character in new film mix of Madhubala, Haji Mastan's wife: Kangana - Jun 20, 2010
- Haji Mastan's daughter files affidavit against Balaji Telefilms - Jul 27, 2010
- Kangana Faces Her Biggest Challenge - Mar 28, 2009
- Naseer teams up with son Vivaan for 'Mastaan' - Mar 26, 2012
- Smugglers, cabaret - 1970s era comes alive in 'Once Upon...' (IANS Preview) - Jul 26, 2010
- It's not Haji Mastan's life story: Ajay Devgn (Interview) - Jul 30, 2010
- Kangana Ranuat's Madhubala act - Apr 03, 2009
- Bollywood actor Ajay Devgan talks about his film 'Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai' - Jul 30, 2010
- Ajay Devgn On 'Aap Ki Adalat' - Aug 03, 2010
- The Big B's Unexpected Guest Appearance With Devgn - Jul 29, 2010
- Unfortunate that Emraan's kisses still make news: Prachi Desai - Jul 14, 2010
- When Kangana met Sona - Apr 15, 2009
- Kangana And Half A Million USD! - Jul 17, 2010
- Kangana Becomes A Stylist - Jun 11, 2010
- Small screen's 'Madhubala' has no Bollywood plans (With Images) - May 21, 2012
Tags: ajay devgan, beautiful woman, cakewalk, ekta kapoor, female superstar, haji mastan, hattrick, indian cinema, kangana ranaut, love interest, low self esteem, madhubala, main lead, megaphone, parveen babi, subhash k jha, taxi no 9211, tender romance, time in mumbai, woh lamhe