Playing Asha Bhonsle’s daughter is a privilege: PadminiMarch 27th, 2011 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 27 (IANS) Bollywood actress Padmini Kolhapure feels she has a role of a lifetime in debutant director Mahesh Kadiyal’s film “Maaee”, in which she plays singing diva Asha Bhosle’s daughter.
Said Padmini: “When the director came to me with this offer I had this strange feeling that it would be Ashaji who plays my mother. My hunch was proven right when the director told me Ashaji had been signed to play the mother.”
Padmini is especially happy since she is very close to the Mangeshkar family.
“I grew up in front of Lataji and Ashaji. I used to sing as a child, though now I’ve lost practice. So, to be facing the camera with Ashaji is a dream-come-true,” the 45-year-old actress said.
“When we met up about ‘Maaee’, Ashaji teased me: ‘You’ve to give me tips on acting for this film.’ I turned around and told Ashaji: ‘Fine I’ll give you tips in acting, if you teach me how to sing’,” Padmini said.
Padmini is getting ready for what she calls the role of a lifetime.
“There aren’t too many such opportunities for actresses these days. And definitely not too many opportunities for anyone to play Ashaji’s daughter. She is a great mother in real life and has tremendous nurturing qualities,” the actress said.
“So I don’t think playing a mother would be difficult for her,” she said.
Padmini has also completed her first Malayalam film, an adaptation of Shakespeare’s “Hamlet”, set in Kerala.
“These are not conventional roles. I guess this is a good time to be an actress of a certain age in Hindi cinema,” she quipped.
- Asha Bhosle's granddaughter sings in 'Maaee' (Movie snippets) - May 15, 2011
- Asha turns 78, to celebrate with family - Sep 08, 2011
- Lata sings for Asha in 'Maaee' - May 28, 2011
- Asha Bhosle makes acting debut with 'Maaee' - Mar 02, 2011
- I knew I'll be able to act easily, says Asha Bhosle at 77 (Interview) - Mar 03, 2011
- Asha Bhosle enters Guinness World Records - Oct 21, 2011
- Sowmya Raoh sings for Rani again! - Sep 19, 2012
- Asha Bhosle launches 'Dhakku makum' at Lalbaugcha Raja (With Images) - Sep 19, 2012
- Asha Bhosle keeps grandsons away from today's films - Apr 19, 2012
- Asha Bhosle wishes for audience's love on birthday - Sep 06, 2012
- Bollywood who's who descends for 'Hum Dono' in colour - Feb 04, 2011
- Born to sing: Lata turns 82 (Sep 28 is Lata Mangeshkar's birthday) - Sep 27, 2011
- Legendary Lata not ready to call it quits - Jun 05, 2011
- Priyanka to pay tribute to Asha Bhosle at IIFA - Jun 24, 2011
- Lata likes 'Indian Idol' - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: actress padmini, actresses, adaptation, certain age, cinema, diva, good time, great mother, hamlet, hunch, malayalam film, mumbai, padmini kolhapure, privilege, role of a lifetime, shakespeare, strange feeling