Playing a woman comes easily to me: Jaaved JaaferiJune 11th, 2009 - 10:52 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 11 (IANS) Actor Jaaved Jaaferi dons the garb of a woman in forthcoming comedy “Paying Guests” and says playing a woman comes easily to him.
“I have played a woman earlier too. In ‘Tehalka’, I had a single scene but in ‘Mr. Shrimati’ it was a full-fledged role and I really worked hard for it. So it wasn’t anything new for me. It came kind of easy to me,” Jaaved told IANS over telephone from Mumbai.
“I understand the body language of women very well. I know their mannerisms so it’s not so difficult for me,” he added.
A romantic comedy, “Paying Guests” is directed by Paritosh Painter. It also stars Shreyas Talpade, Ashish Chaudhary, Celina Jaitley, Neha Dhupia, Riya Sen and Sayali Bhagat.
Talking about the film’s plot, Jaaved said: “The story revolves around four friends in Bangkok who need a house and end up living as couples with me and Shreyas as women.
“In the film, I play a writer with a channel. I am frustrated since I feel I deserve much more but am not getting my due. Sayali Bhagat is the woman I’m in love with but her father is my boss who is averse to the idea.”
The movie, which is set to hit theatres June 19, is produced by Subhash Ghai. It’s after 24 years that Jaaved has teamed up with his mentor Ghai for the comedy and says he was on a nostalgic trip while doing the film.
“I was nostalgic while working in the film because my first film was with Subhash Ghai. After almost two-and-a-half decades I’m again working in his production venture. I have an emotional attachment with him. He is someone very passionate about his work,” he said.
The 49-year-old started his acting career with Ghai’s 1985 movie “Meri Jung” and he played a negative role in the movie that had Anil Kapoor and Meenakshi Sheshadri in the lead.
After “Paying Guests”, Jaaved will be seen in two more ventures of Ghai - “Hello Darling” and an untitled project.
Son of yesteryears comedian Jagdeep, Jaaved has in recent years been appreciated for his comic timing in films like “Salaam Namaste” and “Singh is Kinng”.
Asked if doing comedies was a conscious decision, he said: “It’s true that a majority of my films have been comedies. I guess people like me like that. In the industry you get branded. When I entered the industry, everyone branded me as a dancer, then when I tried to do something different, people branded me as a comic actor.
“But I don’t have any problems with that actually. I’m happy doing this, though I’m doing some serious roles in my future films as well.”
In the coming months Jaaved will be seen in Inder Kumar’s “Daddy Cool”, Ashwin Kumar’s “The Forest” and Govinda starrer “Loot”.
- I'll do any role as long as it excites me: Sayali Bhagat - Jun 13, 2009
- 'Paying Guests' - of a house hunt and impersonation (IANS Preview) - Jun 15, 2009
- I want to do different roles: Sayali Bhagat - Dec 01, 2011
- Sayali Bhagat has a variety of films on hand - Jun 02, 2009
- "I don't want short term fame" - Sayali Bhagat - Jun 12, 2009
- Getting waxed for 'Paying Guests' was torture: Shreyas Talpade - May 29, 2009
- Paritosh Painter's Paying Guest now coming on 19th June - Jun 07, 2009
- Tight schedules make Kareena Kapoor homesick (Film Snippets) - Feb 14, 2009
- Paying Guests sees Mukta Arts coming together with Times Music - Apr 25, 2009
- Mallika's dare-bare in 'Double Dhamaal' (Movie snippets) (With Images) - Jun 13, 2011
- Sayali Bhagat okay with wearing bikini on screen - Sep 16, 2011
- Subhash Ghai Announces PAYING GUESTS 2 - Jun 25, 2009
- Celina Jaitley excited about Paying Guest - May 19, 2009
- Paying Guests sets Box Office bells ringing for Mukta Arts - Jun 24, 2009
- Melanie balances acting, social work with elan (With Images) - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: 24 years, acting career, anil kapoor, ashish chaudhary, body language, celina jaitley, comedian, emotional attachment, four friends, garb, ghai, mannerisms, neha dhupia, nostalgic trip, romantic comedy, sayali bhagat, Shreyas Talpade, shrimati, tehalka, untitled project