Plan panel steps in to tackle Bundelkhand’s drought miseriesSeptember 5th, 2010 - 3:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 5 (IANS) The Planning Commission has set up a high-level panel to devise ways and means to tackle the drought in Bundelkhand, a region spread over Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
Called the Advisory Committee on Implementation of Drought Mitigation Strategies in Bundelkhand, it will be headed by the Commission’s Deputy Chairman, Montek Singh Ahluwalia.
The cabinet had earlier approved a Rs.766-crore special package for the perennially parched and backward region. It primarily envisages optimum utilisation of water resources through rainwater harvesting and through proper exploitation of the river systems in the region.
It also envisages promotion of intensive and diversified agriculture in the region.
The panel consists of seven Lok Sabha members from the region, besides the Minister of State for Planning and Parliamentary Affairs, V. Narayanasamy, and the Minister of State for Rural Development, Pradeep Kumar Jain ‘Aditya.’
The other members on the panel are Planning Commission members B.K. Chaturvedi, Mihir Shah, Abhijit Sen, Secretary Sudha Pillai and the National Rainfed Area Authority Chief Executive Officer, J.S. Samra.
The Bundelkhand region comprises seven districts of Uttar Pradesh - Banda, Chitrakoot, Hamirpur, Jalaun, Jhansi, Lalitpur and Mahoba, and six districts of Madhya Pradesh - Chhatarpur, Damoh, Datia, Panna, Sagar and Tikamgarh.
- Plan panel to tackle Bundelkhand drought - Sep 05, 2010
- MP opposes creation of Bundelkhand Authority - Aug 01, 2009
- Madhya Pradesh opposes setting up of central body for Bundelkhand - Aug 01, 2009
- Bundelkhand politics stalls both houses of parliament - Aug 03, 2009
- Rahul assures Bundelkhand people of central package - Dec 08, 2011
- Locals to be involved in Rs.7,000 crore Bundelkhand package - Jul 08, 2012
- Mayawati writes to PM, demands Purvanchal - Dec 13, 2009
- Rahul to tour Bundelkhand Jan 17-20 - Jan 13, 2012
- Lack of clarity in Bundelkhand package: Chouhan - Feb 02, 2010
- Rahul's Bundelkhand package hits the bumpy road - Dec 11, 2011
- Politics over Bundelkhand hots up in Madhya Pradesh - Aug 02, 2009
- Bundelkhand package: Plan panel concerned over tardy progress - Dec 12, 2011
- Heat wave kills 16 in UP - Jun 18, 2012
- Blood signature campaign for Bundelkhand - Dec 17, 2009
- UP polls: 59 percent vote in 5th phase (Intro Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: abhijit, chief executive officer, datia, diversified agriculture, drought in bundelkhand, drought mitigation, hamirpur, jhansi, lalitpur, lok sabha members, mahoba, mihir, mitigation strategies, montek singh ahluwalia, optimum utilisation, parliamentary affairs, pillai, pradeep kumar, proper exploitation, rainwater harvesting