Placido Domingo Bags Person Of The Year Award In 2010 Latin GrammyNovember 12th, 2010 - 7:47 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
Nov 12, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Last night turned out to be very a special one for Placido Domingo who was awarded the Person Of The Year in the 2010 Latin Grammy Awards for his cultural and philanthropic accomplishments towards Hispanic music. The award was presented to him by none other than the Latin pop sensation Ricky Martin himself, who has also been the recipient of the award earlier. The Latin Grammy Awards 2010 turned out to be a starry night with the Latin music stars marching their way through the Red Carpet. The city of Las Vegas is basking afresh in the glory of the Awards ceremony.
69 year old Placido Domingo well known for his “Three Tenors” performances along with Jose Carreras and the late Luciano Pavarotti said “this is a great honor for me ” as he held the prestigious trophy close to his chest with his eyes teared up. The veteran star drew standing ovation when he stood up on the stage to put up a performance of the much acclaimed opera standard “Granada” with images of the Spanish city flashing on the screen behind him. Domingo has also been the recipient of the nine Grammy Award and two Latin Grammy and has more than hundred recordings to his credit and is also the founder of Operalia, a contest for opera singing which the raised a lot of money through its charity concerts for helping the victims of natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina and the1985 earthquake in Mexico.
After receiving the award he gave a short acceptance speech where he poured his emotions out speaking of his love for the Spanish country deeming the relations between Spain and its former colonies. Later he was also seen sharing a touching moment with his son composer Placido Domingo Junior who expressed his earnest desire to be like his father or to sing his dad if he ever had the opportunity.
- Placido Domingo to be honoured with top Latin Grammy award - Sep 16, 2010
- Camila Bags Three Awards At The Latin Grammys 2010 - Nov 12, 2010
- Tenor Jose Carreras announces retirement from opera - May 08, 2009
- Tenors to grace Classical Brit Awards in London - Mar 19, 2009
- Tenor Placido Domingo wins opera gong - Oct 15, 2009
- Italian singer dies while on tour - Mar 02, 2012
- Elton John to perform at Mayan ruins - Jan 26, 2010
- Pavarotti's widow wants a museum for him - Oct 13, 2010
- Chinese director to stage opera for London Olympics - Mar 01, 2012
- Opera singer Domingo wins $1m Nilsson prize - Feb 21, 2009
- Steve Jobs to be honoured with Grammy award - Dec 22, 2011
- Sir Elton John to perform at archaeological site of Chichen Itza in Mexico - Jan 26, 2010
- Spanish tenor Placido Domingo to undergo surgery - Feb 23, 2010
- Shakira denies rumours of breakup with Pique - Oct 06, 2011
- Placido Domingo to make comeback after cancer surgery - Mar 28, 2010
Tags: charity concerts, city of las vegas, earnest desire, earthquake in mexico, grammy award, grammy awards, hispanic music, hurricane katrina, jose carreras, latin grammy awards, latin music, latin pop, luciano pavarotti, placido domingo, pop sensation, prestigious trophy, ricky martin, spanish country, standing ovation, three tenors