Pirates creates overseas recordMay 23rd, 2011 - 10:15 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, May 23 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise is proving to be hugely successful one. “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” has set a Box Office record for the highest grossing movie overseas when it raked in $256.3 million. The movie also opened strongly in North America in the first weekend.
Combined proceeds from the theaters in the United States and Canada reached $90.1 million. The opening week of the movie internationally has taken the Harry Potter movie “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” from the top of the record charts. The Harry Potter movie which was released in 2009 grossed $236 million in the first week.
The movie’s combined revenue for the first week is $346.4 million and that is staggering. Though Disney didn’t expect such a strong performance from the international theaters, the movie was expected to do much better in the United States. Analysts predicted that the movie will pass the $100 million mark in the United States and Canada. With its opening revenue, “On Stranger Tides” has become the third highest first-week earner in the franchise’s history.
Two other “Pirates” movies which were released in 2006 and 2007 grossed $135.6 million and $114.7 million respectively in their first week.
- 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' grosses revenue of $1 billion - Aug 03, 2011
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean...' tops weekend box office - May 23, 2011
- 'Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows - Part 2' shatters several box office records - Jul 18, 2011
- Harry Potter finale makes history with four opening records - Jul 18, 2011
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger tides' to release next year - Dec 15, 2010
- 'DAM 999' maker awaits Oscar nomination with bated breath - Jan 23, 2012
- Depp in 'Pirates of the Caribbean 5'? - Jul 07, 2011
- Indian film 'DAM 999' fails in Oscar journey - Jan 24, 2012
- 1 in 5 Hollywood films this year will be sequels - Feb 17, 2011
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows earn $330.1 million worldwide during first weekend - Nov 23, 2010
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows spreads its charm on the box office - Nov 22, 2010
- "Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 1" Sets Box Office On Fire - Nov 20, 2010
- Preview trailer of 'Breaking Dawn' released - Sep 12, 2011
- "Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows" Part 1 Hits The Bulls Eye At Box Office - Nov 22, 2010
- 'Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Part 1' grosses $657 million - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,