Pirates creates overseas recordMay 23rd, 2011 - 10:15 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, May 23 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise is proving to be hugely successful one. “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” has set a Box Office record for the highest grossing movie overseas when it raked in $256.3 million. The movie also opened strongly in North America in the first weekend.
Combined proceeds from the theaters in the United States and Canada reached $90.1 million. The opening week of the movie internationally has taken the Harry Potter movie “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” from the top of the record charts. The Harry Potter movie which was released in 2009 grossed $236 million in the first week.
The movie’s combined revenue for the first week is $346.4 million and that is staggering. Though Disney didn’t expect such a strong performance from the international theaters, the movie was expected to do much better in the United States. Analysts predicted that the movie will pass the $100 million mark in the United States and Canada. With its opening revenue, “On Stranger Tides” has become the third highest first-week earner in the franchise’s history.
Two other “Pirates” movies which were released in 2006 and 2007 grossed $135.6 million and $114.7 million respectively in their first week.
- 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' grosses revenue of $1 billion - Aug 03, 2011
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean...' tops weekend box office - May 23, 2011
- 'Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows - Part 2' shatters several box office records - Jul 18, 2011
- Harry Potter finale makes history with four opening records - Jul 18, 2011
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger tides' to release next year - Dec 15, 2010
- 'DAM 999' maker awaits Oscar nomination with bated breath - Jan 23, 2012
- Depp in 'Pirates of the Caribbean 5'? - Jul 07, 2011
- Indian film 'DAM 999' fails in Oscar journey - Jan 24, 2012
- 1 in 5 Hollywood films this year will be sequels - Feb 17, 2011
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows earn $330.1 million worldwide during first weekend - Nov 23, 2010
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows spreads its charm on the box office - Nov 22, 2010
- "Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 1" Sets Box Office On Fire - Nov 20, 2010
- Preview trailer of 'Breaking Dawn' released - Sep 12, 2011
- "Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows" Part 1 Hits The Bulls Eye At Box Office - Nov 22, 2010
- 'Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Part 1' grosses $657 million - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: 1 million, 100 million, 6 million, box office, canada, disney, franchise, half blood prince, harry potter, harry potter and the half blood, harry potter and the half blood prince, north america, pirates of the caribbean, potter and the half blood prince, proceeds, stranger tides, theaters, united states