‘Pilla Zamindar’ is above average (Telugu Movie Review)October 15th, 2011 - 4:55 pm ICT by IANS
Film: “Pilla Zamindar”, Cast: Nani, Hari Priya, Indu Madhavi, Rao Ramesh, Nagineedu, Srini Avasarala, M.S. Narayana, Vennela Kishore; Screenplay-Director: Ashok G.; Producer: Master Bujji Babu; Dialogues: Chandrashekhar; Camera: Sai Sriram; Music: Selva Ganesh; Rating: **1/2
“Pilla Zamindar” starts off well with some breezy comedy sequences and takes off in the middle of the first half. The first half is a racy entertainer which is enjoyable but in the second half the film treads in a totally different path with a lot of forced sentimental sequences.
Director Ashok G. has tried to provide balance by focusing on comedy elements in the first half and excessive sentimental sequences in the second half. He is only partly successful in his endeavour.
He has tried to send a good message to the youngsters who abuse their rich background. The breeziness in the first half is totally absent in the second half where the film concentrates more on the melodrama.
The director shows his calibre in crafting the entertainment scenes but he has compromised too much in the second half by including some unnecessary dramatic sequences.
Nani plays the role of Praveen Jayarama Raju (better known as PJ by his friends) who would like to lead a rich life. He gets to know that he will own the big fortune of his grandfather who has left a will in his favour. But it has put forth some conditions.
He likes to spend his money and is against studying further but the will puts a condition that he has to complete his graduation. How the need to acquire the property changes Nani forms the rest of the story.
He is in love with a girl but is also followed by a rich, hot girl.
Nani gives a powerful performance and shows that he has improved leaps and bounds after he made his debut in “Bheemli Kabaddi Jattu”. He shows his increased confidence through this film.
Kannada girl Hari Priya’s performance in the lead role is much appreciable. The film’s second heroine, Bindu Madhavi, has been restricted to add the glamour quotient.
All the other veteran and young artists who have essayed character roles have been impressive.
“Pilla Zamindar” is an above average film which has Nani’s impressive performance as a major highlight.
- 'Ishq' feel-good romantic film: Marks Nitin's come back (Telugu Movie Review) - Feb 26, 2012
- 'Mogudu' an average tale of emotional bonding (Telugu Film Review) - Nov 05, 2011
- 'Sagar' - a good timepass! (Kannada Movie Review) - Aug 11, 2012
- 'SMS' good time pass, worth the money! (Telugu Movie Review) - Feb 12, 2012
- 'Rama Rama Krishna Krishna' mish-mash of several movies (Telugu Movie Review) - May 16, 2010
- '9 to 12' an enjoyable suspense thriller (Kannada Movie Review) - Jul 03, 2011
- 'Dammu' - high on action, low on content (Telugu Movie Review) - Apr 28, 2012
- 'Johny Mera Naam...' lacks punch (Kannada Movie Review) - Jun 05, 2011
- 'Addhuri'- fun film replete with emotions (Kannada Movie Review) - Jun 16, 2012
- 'Modhala Sala' fails to deliver (Kannada Film Review, Rating: **) - Jan 01, 2011
- 'Veppam' lacks punch (Tamil Movie Review) - Jul 31, 2011
- Review Of 'Sivappu Samy': Typical Family Rivalry Spoiling The Romance! - Jan 07, 2011
- '18th Cross' - not worth the wait (Kannada Movie Review) - Aug 04, 2012
- Haripriya: Not Getting Good Offers From Kannada Film Industry - Jan 03, 2011
- Darshan sparks interest with 'Chingari' (Kannada Movie Review) - Feb 05, 2012
Tags: ashok, babu, chandrashekhar, comedy elements, different path, dramatic sequences, entertainment scenes, hot girl, kabaddi, kishore, leaps and bounds, madhavi rao, narayana, priya, property changes, rest of the story, rich background, srini, vennela, zamindar