Phylicia Rashad lands ‘Denzel Washignton Chair in Theatre’ at FordhamOctober 7th, 2011 - 11:45 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington, Oct 7 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Actor Denzel Washington has named Bill Cosby star Phylicia Rashad as the Denzel Washington Chair in Theatre at Fordham. With that, Phylicia has become the first person to take the position which is rotational.
The position will be changed each fall and the New York Times says the Fordham University is expecting distinguished entertainment stars to take the seat each fall. As the chair of the theater, the person is required to teach advanced course in theater to the students in the university. Phylicia’s first task will be to teach advance lessons in “Creating a Character.”
Washington, a graduate of Fordham University, recently donated $2 million to the theater. He also gave the university $250,000 to fund the tuition of a minority student who is currently studying theater in the university.
The Oscar-winning actor released a statement after making the donation to the university. The statement said that he made the donation “in order to offer the next generation of students positive influences.”
He also spoke about his choice of Phylicia to chair the theater. He explained that the 63-year-old “will provide the care, compassion and that extra push to help take students where they’re meant to go.”
Phylicia will be replaced in the fall.
- Denzel Washington donates $2.25 million to Fordham University - Oct 06, 2011
- Peyton Manning makes donation to scholarship fund - Feb 20, 2012
- Kimberly Elise Plays Crystal In "For Colored Girls" - Nov 05, 2010
- Denzel Washington uses boxing to relax - Feb 08, 2012
- The bond Bill Cosby and Robert Culp shared - Mar 29, 2010
- Atheists, agnostics kinder than religious people - May 01, 2012
- Six Indian-Americans win fellowships - Apr 28, 2012
- Depressed? Be kind, compassionate - Jul 31, 2011
- How migratory butterflies use 'compass and sunlight' to find their way - Jan 27, 2011
- Rampage Jackson Defeated By Rashad Evans - May 30, 2010
- James Franco to teach film course at NYU - Mar 30, 2011
- Poor behaviour doesn't always lead to poor grades - Mar 30, 2011
- Grapes can stave off age-related blindness - Jan 15, 2012
- Treat yourself as well as you treat friends, family to be happier in life - Mar 01, 2011
- A key Bihar lesson - don't forget the private tuition! - Jan 22, 2012
Tags: bill cosby, compassion, creating a character, denzel washignton, denzel washington, entertainment stars, first person, fordham university, minority student, new york times, next generation, oct 7, phylicia rashad