Photojournalist who witnessed crime slain in EcuadorJuly 3rd, 2012 - 12:24 pm ICT by IANS
Quito, July 3 (IANS/EFE) Two assailants fatally shot an Ecuadorian photojournalist who witnessed a theft in which police are the main suspects, a media report said Monday.
Byron Baldeon, 31, was killed Sunday evening, Extra newspaper managing editor Juan Manuel Yepez told EFE.
Witnesses said Baldeon was shot by two men on a motorcycle as he arrived at his home in El Triunfo, 61 km from the coastal metropolis of Guayaquil, according to a statement.
An autopsy showed the freelance photographer was shot nine times at close range, Extra editor-in-chief Henry Holguin said.
Yepez said Baldeon had been subpoenaed by prosecutors in connection with a photo he took of the theft of a container-load of televisions.
Three police officers and two civilians were arrested in May on suspicion of carrying out the heist, the statement noted.
The Extra managing editor stressed that there was nothing to confirm any connection between the theft and Baldeon’s murder.
“It would be speculating for me to venture to say it was because of that, and I couldn’t say that,” Yepez insisted.
- Former boxer murdered in Ecuador - Jul 16, 2012
- Ecuadorian interior minister's brother murdered - Sep 03, 2012
- 17 dead, 40 hurt in Ecuador accident - Apr 14, 2011
- Football team president gunned down in Ecuador - Jan 17, 2011
- 22 people rescued from Ecuadorian shipwreck - Jun 02, 2010
- Ecuador to deliver $538 mn worth of oil to China - Dec 10, 2011
- Mana rocks Ecuador concert - Feb 26, 2012
- Honduran army admits theft of grenade launchers - Feb 09, 2012
- Column of ash shoots from erupting Ecuador volcano - Nov 24, 2010
- Britain threatening to take Assange by force: Ecuador - Aug 16, 2012
- US gives military gear worth $1.2 mn to Ecuador - May 11, 2010
- Eight gunned down in Brazilian city - Jul 13, 2012
- Unesco condemns murders of two journalists in Brazil - Feb 21, 2012
- New Spider-Man is half-Latino - Aug 03, 2011
- Ecuadorian central bank official gored at bullfight - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: assailants, autopsy, chief henry, civilians, container load, ecuador quito, freelance photographer, guayaquil, heist, holguin, managing editor, metropolis, nine times, photojournalist, police officers, prosecutors, sunday evening, suspicion, two men, yepez