Phony news crew smuggles $9.2 mn into NicaraguaAugust 28th, 2012 - 11:52 am ICT by IANS
Managua, Aug 28 (IANS/EFE) Eighteen people arrested last week while trying to enter Nicaragua disguised as a news crew from Mexico’s Televisa television were carrying $9.2 million in cash, police said.
The money was hidden in several of the six news vans - painted with the Televisa logo - the suspects were driving at the time of their arrest, police spokesman Fernando Borge told EFE.
Traces of cocaine were found in the group’s luggage.
Televisa said the detainees are not employees of the network.
Arraigned Saturday on charges of money laundering and racketeering, the 18 suspects are being held without bail.
The group tried to enter Nicaragua from Honduras en route to Costa Rica, Nicaraguan prosecutors said.
One of the 18 people arrested appears to be a municipal police officer from the Mexican city of Durango.
The phony journalists were intercepted shortly before the beginning of a high-profile trial in Managua of 24 people accused of smuggling Colombian drugs via Costa Rica to Guatemala, for ultimate delivery to traffickers in neighbouring Mexico.
- Suspect in slaying of Argentine singer nabbed - Mar 14, 2012
- Nicaragua turns to Chinese firm to finance canal project - Sep 08, 2012
- Cocaine packed in toys, candy seized in Nicaragua - Dec 27, 2010
- Don Omar to compose song for Jennifer Lopez's TV show - Feb 14, 2012
- Ricky Martin defends gay rights - Oct 16, 2011
- Carlos Slim's firm to acquire US company - May 11, 2012
- Google Maps error leads to Nicaraguan invasion of Costa Rica island - Nov 06, 2010
- Three Nicaragua cops dishonourably discharged - Sep 03, 2012
- Jennifer Lopez to host Latin American talent search - Jun 02, 2011
- 4,800 turtle eggs seized - Jul 05, 2010
- Bill Gates buys stake in Mexican company - Mar 18, 2011
- Over 100 trafficked people rescued in Mexico - Nov 15, 2010
- 89 die in Central America rains - Oct 17, 2011
- Nicaragua exceeds one mn foreign tourists for first time - Dec 30, 2010
- Mexican Supreme Court official held for links to drug cartel - Aug 13, 2012
Tags: borge, cocaine, costa rica, detainees, drugs, efe, en route, guatemala, honduras, journalists, luggage, municipal police officer, nicaragua managua, police spokesman, prosecutors, six news, televisa, traces, traffickers, vans