Phil Spector sentenced to 19 years jail for Lana Clarkson murderMay 30th, 2009 - 2:00 am ICT by John Le Fevre
Phil Spector, the eccentric music producer who invented the “Wall of Sound” recording technique was sentenced to a minimum of 19 years jail for the 2003 murder of Lana Clarkson, a Hollywood actress.
Spector, 69, was convicted of second-degree murder in April by a Los Angeles jury after a second trial – the first trial ended in a deadlock in 2007.
Lana Clarkson, 40, a B-movie actress, died of a shot to the mouth, fired from Spector’s gun in the foyer of his mock castle home outside Los Angeles on February 3, 2003. The two had met hours earlier at a Hollywood nightclub.
The sentence of 19 year to life means that Spector must spend at least 19 years in jail before being eligible for parole. If not paroled, he will spend the rest of his life behind bars.
Spector has been held in custody since his April 13 conviction, after being free on bail following his arrest in 2003.
While prosecutors said the shooting of Clarkson was part of a pattern of gun play and violence that Spector displayed toward women over the past 20 years, his lawyers argued Clarkson was depressed about her failing career and had committed suicide.
Spector, who worked with The Ronettes, The Beatles, Cher and Leonard Cohen at the height of his fame, denied murdering Clarkson but did not testify at either trial.
Shortly before Clarkson was shot, Spector told British journalist Mick Brown in a rare interview that he had a bipolar personality and had “devils that fight inside me.”
In 2006, he quietly wed for the fourth time, marrying model/actress Rachelle Short, who is about 30-years his junior.
- Phil Spector conviction upheld - May 04, 2011
- Music producer Phil Spector sentenced to 19 years in jail - May 30, 2009
- Al Pacino to play notorious producer on TV - Oct 10, 2010
- Phil Spector' lawyers appeal to overturn murder conviction - Apr 13, 2011
- Mirren replaces Midler in Spector biopic - Jul 20, 2011
- Phil Spector murder conviction upheld - May 03, 2011
- Phil Spector to serve 19 years in prison for actress' murder - May 30, 2009
- Al Pacino 'to play Phil Spector in a movie' - Oct 09, 2010
- Phil Spector Convicted as Wife Rachelle Spector Breaks Down - Apr 14, 2009
- Music producer Spector convicted for murdering actress - Apr 14, 2009
- Phil Spector found guilty of killing actress - Apr 14, 2009
- The Accused of the Lana Clarkson Murder goes Free - Mar 25, 2009
- Lana Clarkson murder case: Phil Spector sentenced - May 30, 2009
- Phil Spector transferred to new prison - Jun 06, 2009
- Phil Spector wants TV, iPod, computer in jail - Jun 25, 2009
Tags: b movie, british journalist, castle home, eccentric music, gun play, hollywood actress, hollywood nightclub, Lana Clarkson, lana clarkson murder, life behind bars, mick brown, mock castle, model actress, movie actress, music producer, phil spector, rare interview, ronettes, second degree murder, wall of sound recording technique