PETA wants Oscar nominees to boycott fur-using ArmaniFebruary 4th, 2009 - 1:32 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, February 4 (ANI): Activists of People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) have called upon Oscar nominees to stay away from fashion giant Armani because it uses fur for designs.
Chiefs at the non-profit organisation penned a full-page advertisement in trade magazine Daily Variety, urging those nominated at the Academy Awards not to sport the Italian companys designs for the ceremony.
“No designer cosies up to the red carpet crowd more than Giorgio Armani, and this year PETA is urging Oscar nominees to hang-up on him when he comes calling, Contactmusic quoted PETA spokesman as saying.
“Just a year after the designer told Time magazine, ”I spoke with the people from PETA, and they showed me some materials that convinced me not to use fur,” Armani’’s latest collections feature fur-trimmed jackets, fur-hemmed skirts, floral-printed fur coats, and even rabbit-fur-trimmed snowsuits for toddlers, the rep said.
An insider added: “We have written individually to every Oscar nominee, asking them to shun Armani on the red carpet.
“Armani uses mostly rabbit fur from French and Chinese fur farms, both of which were targets of recent undercover investigations. Footage shows rabbits crammed into filthy cages that are encrusted with urine and faeces. Workers at the farm in China pull rabbits from cages by their ears and shoot them in the head with electric stun guns while the animals kick and scream. The rabbits are then hung upside down and decapitated.”
The PETA spokesman concluded: “Weve met with Armani and his staff over the past few years and have found that they are moved more by what celebrities think than about animal suffering or protests. We hope he will soon join designers such as Calvin Klein, Stella MCCartney, Ralph Lauren, Vivienne Westwood, and Tommy Hilfiger - who are 100 per cent fur-free.” (ANI)
- Queen under fire for wearing fur hat - Dec 27, 2010
- Ellen DeGeneres, Tim Gunn named PETA's People of the Year - Dec 31, 2009
- PETA condemns Kim Kardashian - Nov 17, 2010
- West Hollywood To Promote As The Capital Of Fur-Free Fashion - Jan 26, 2011
- PETA demands AIIMS release lab animals - Apr 28, 2011
- Kim Kardashian wears 2 fur coats in one day, angers PETA - Nov 17, 2010
- Taraji P Henson Does Naked PETA Anti-Fur Ad - Jan 28, 2011
- Joss Stone bares for bears in PETA ad to protest MoD using fur for hats - Feb 07, 2011
- Pamela Anderson urges Danish queen to avoid fur - Jul 29, 2011
- Karl Lagerfeld's cat launches her own Twitter account - Jun 07, 2012
- Pammie declares war on Cate Blanchett over fur use - Oct 02, 2008
- Rat fur - the latest accessory in fashion - Jun 07, 2010
- Kanye West angers PETA with song - Apr 07, 2012
- Olivia Munn bares all for anti-fur campaign - Jan 14, 2012
- Clooney's girlfriend bares all for PETA campaign - May 05, 2011
Tags: academy awards, daily variety, ethical treatment of animals, faeces, fur coats, fur farms, fur trimmed jackets, giorgio armani, oscar nominee, oscar nominees, page advertisement, people for ethical treatment of animals, profit organisation, rabbit fur, red carpet, stella mccartney, stun guns, treatment of animals, undercover investigations, vivienne westwood