PETA requests IIFA, Bachchan to promote vegetarian foodMay 26th, 2009 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) Animal welfare organisation People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has urged members of the India International Film Academy (IIFA) and its brand ambassador, Bollywood icon Amitabh Bachchan, to avoid non-vegetarian meals at the forthcoming event to be held in Macau, China next month.
On behalf of PETA, its chief functionary Anuradha Sawhney sent a letter in this regard to Sabbas Joseph, one of the directors of Wizcraft that organises IIFA, and its vegetarian celebrity face Amitabh after learning that the event will have a ‘Go-Green’ theme, said a press release.
“We were thrilled to hear that this year’s IIFA Awards are going to have a ‘Go Green’ theme, and we commend you for helping to once again draw attention to the global climate crisis. On behalf of PETA India and all our members and supporters, we respectfully ask you to serve only green (vegetarian) food at the event.
“By doing so, you will send a strong message that people can save the planet simply by changing their dietary habits,” Sawhney stated in the letter sent Tuesday morning.
IIFA, in its 10th edition this year, will be held from June 11-13 at The Venetian Macau-Resort. It will also present a special ‘Green IIFA’ award to a film personality who has been working in the area of creating environment awareness.
IFFA has been addressing the issue of global warming since 2007 and this year too they will take their concern forward. It has been hosting an eco-friendly award function by rolling out a green carpet instead of the conventional red.
“Kicking the meat habit is the best thing that anyone can do for animals, their health and the earth,” Sawhney said.
- Amitabh Bachchan no longer IIFA brand ambassador - Jan 17, 2011
- It's back to Singapore for IIFA this year - Apr 24, 2012
- IIFA 2009 goes to China - Apr 28, 2009
- Rajesh Khanna to receive IIFA lifetime achievement award - May 30, 2009
- Shah Rukh Khan not skipping IIFA Awards - Jun 21, 2011
- Aishwarya to perform at IIFA again (With Image) - May 29, 2009
- Indian cinema best example of national integration: Amitabh - May 08, 2009
- Dhanush, Mallika named hottest vegetarians - Jan 20, 2012
- SRK to perform on IIFA stage after seven years - Jun 16, 2011
- Make Tihar Jail meat-free zone: PETA India - Nov 22, 2011
- Now IIFA wants to organise 'weekend' for southern industry - Dec 02, 2011
- Stage set for Bollywood's grandest show abroad (With Image) - Jun 22, 2011
- Bollywood's young blood to rock IIFA in Singapore (Curtain Raiser) - Jun 06, 2012
- Seoul is the front-runner for next IIFA: Sabbas Joseph - Jan 27, 2010
- Hema Malini urges ban on Tamil Nadu's Jallikattu - Jul 01, 2011
Tags: amitabh bachchan, animal welfare organisation, dietary habits, ethical treatment of animals, film academy, film personality, forthcoming event, global climate crisis, global warming, india international, international film, macau china, meat habit, people for the ethical treatment of animals, peta india, treatment of animals, tuesday morning, vegetarian food, vegetarian meals, wizcraft