Permit denied for Lady Gaga’s Indonesia showMay 16th, 2012 - 9:28 am ICT by IANS
Jakarta, May 16 (IANS/AKI) Pop star Lady Gaga may have to cancel a concert in the Indonesian capital after police declined to give a permit for the show amid protests from Islamic groups.
Islamic organisations have said the 26-year-old singer’s style puts the Muslim country’s morality at risk.
Protesters say they have a particular dislike of what they termed a provocative manner of dress and dance by Lady Gaga that should be considered un-Islamic.
“There is fear of the concert’s consequences, especially from her sexy way of dressing,” an unnamed police official told the al-Arabiya news channel.
The June 3 leg of the “Born This Way Ball” tour sold out in around two hours when tickets went on sale in March.
Cholil Ridwan, chairman of the Indonesian Council of Ulema — the country’s highest Islamic authority on morality — said he had never watched the singer perform and only heard of her “reputation” second-hand, but that the concert intended to destroy Indonesia’s morality.
- Lady Gaga fans told to return tickets for Indonesia concert - Mar 20, 2012
- Lady Gaga concert in Indonesia termed 'un-Islamic' - Mar 20, 2012
- Dozens of punk rockers held in Indonesia - Dec 15, 2011
- 35 cyber criminals held in Indonesia - Sep 28, 2011
- Indonesian arrested for not believing in god - Jan 22, 2012
- Jakarta concert cancelled, Gaga disappointed - May 28, 2012
- 30 mn Indonesian hit by hepatitis - Jul 27, 2011
- 20 Palestinians killed in Syria attack - Aug 03, 2012
- Yemen weapons factory blast toll climbs to 150 - Mar 30, 2011
- Indonesian Islamic group wants death for graft - Nov 15, 2011
- Rebels offer $1.3 mn bounty for Gaddafi - Aug 25, 2011
- Young Muslims in Indonesia, Malaysia oppose polygamy - Jul 13, 2011
- Indonesia blocks 1 mn porn websites before Ramadan - Jul 18, 2012
- Haj pilgrimage cost to drop in Indonesia - Jun 16, 2010
- Men more corrupt than women: Ex-Indonesian president - Feb 11, 2012
Tags: aki, al arabiya, al arabiya news, al arabiya news channel, dislike, indonesian capital, islamic authority, islamic groups, islamic organisations, jakarta, june 3, lady gaga, morality, muslim country, police official, pop star, protesters, protests, provocative manner, ridwan