Penelope’s noble cause for Haiti victimsMay 22nd, 2010 - 1:59 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 22 (IANS) Oscar winning actress Penelope Cruz has raised $333,000 for the Haiti earthquake victims by selling her designer dresses.
The 35-year-old and jewellery maker Chopard raised the sum by organising an auction for the Jenkins-Penn Haitian Relief Organisation at the Cannes Film Festival, reported femalefirst.co.uk.
Other than Cruz, Hollywood stars Anne Hathaway, Julia Roberts, Gisele Bundchen, Charlize Theron and Salma Hayek donated for the cause. Hayek raised $21,000 for her burgundy Gucci gown, the first from the Italian brand’s new couture range.
Some other celebrities who gave outfits included Naomi Watts, Diana Kruger, Scarlett Johansson and Gwyneth Paltrow.
The Jenkins-Penn charity was created by Oscar-winning actor Sean Penn as a response to help Haiti in its recovery from two earthquakes in January that killed around 230,000 people and left about a million homeless.
- Sean Penn rescues two people in Haiti - Feb 27, 2010
- Penelope, Javier to rebuild schools in Haiti - Jan 29, 2010
- Isabelle Adjani tops Time Magazine's beautiful women list - Feb 09, 2011
- Charlie Sheen plans Haiti charity trip - Mar 05, 2011
- Penn to be honoured for charity work in Haiti - Jan 07, 2011
- Cruz feels passionate about children causes - May 25, 2011
- Sean Penn heading back to earthquake-hit Haiti - Feb 17, 2010
- Gisele Bundchen donates $1.5 mn to Haiti - Jan 16, 2010
- Sean Penn's charity receives cash boost from Bill Clinton - Oct 09, 2010
- Sean Penn praised for Haiti relief work - Jul 12, 2010
- Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz donate for Haiti relief - Jan 29, 2010
- Penelope Cruz, Javier Bardem make 5yr donation pledge for Haiti victims - Jan 29, 2010
- Theron forced to work on weekends - Apr 21, 2012
- Radiohead raise $500k for Haiti earthquake victims - Jan 26, 2010
- Bush Wipes Hand On Clinton's Shirt (VIDEO) - Mar 26, 2010
Tags: actress penelope, anne hathaway, cannes film festival, charlize theron, couture, diana kruger, earthquake victims, femalefirst, gisele bundchen, gucci gown, gwyneth paltrow, hollywood stars, italian brand, jewellery maker, julia roberts, naomi watts, penelope cruz, salma hayek, scarlett johansson, sean penn