‘Peddlers’ team in customs hassleMay 31st, 2012 - 6:48 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 31 (IANS) “Peddlers” co-producer Guneet Monga and director Vasan Bala were held up at the Mumbai airport by customs officials for carrying iPads and were released after they paid the customs duty.
They reached the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport here Wednesday evening after showcasing the movie at the Cannes Critics’ Week, a parallel section of the 65th Cannes International Film Festival, and competing for the prestigious Camera d’Or.
Producer Anurag Kashyap had gifted the iPads to Bala and Monga to celebrate the success of the screening of “Peddlers”. Since they were brand new, the customs officers asked for declarations on the pieces, said a statement.
“They asked for a bill and made them pay 36 percent duty for a gift that they got from Anurag. Moreover, the customs officials were extremely rude and told both that they should know this before travelling that there is a duty on carrying iPads,” said a source.
Bala said: “It’s strange that laptops are okay because it’s old technology. But since the iPad is new, it gives some scope for detention and scrutiny. I also overheard that it’s an either/or situation either one laptop or one iPad. Both apparently can’t be carried without declaration. So Strange! Anyway it’s now on the list with cameras for declaration. It’s best to carry nothing.”
Monga says iPads were gifts, so they didn’t have a proof of purchase.
“Our iPads were gifted to us by Anurag. How do they expect us to carry receipts? It’s very troublesome and unnecessary,” she said.
“Peddlers” features Gulshan Devaiah, Siddharth Menon, Nimrat Kaur and Kriti Malhotra.
- 'Peddlers' heads to Toronto film fest - Aug 01, 2012
- Vasan Bala's 'Peddlers' selected for Cannes Critics' Week - Apr 24, 2012
- 'Gangs of Wasseypur' set for world premiere at Cannes - Apr 24, 2012
- No Cannes for Kalki Koechlin - May 14, 2012
- New iPad sales top 3 mn: Apple - Mar 20, 2012
- Uday Shankar's classic 'Kalpana' heads to Cannes - Apr 27, 2012
- Apple Profits Soar From Strong iMac And iPad Sales - Jul 21, 2010
- New iPad to go on sale Friday: Apple - Mar 15, 2012
- iPad Airport Security Advantage Puts It Ahead Of Notebooks - Apr 08, 2010
- Randeep hopes to impress audience with 'Jism 2' (Movie Snippets) - May 31, 2012
- Apple iPad Eating Into Notebook Sales? - Sep 17, 2010
- Steve Jobs makes surprise appearance to unveil iPad2 - Mar 03, 2011
- Chinese student held with 59 iPads - May 03, 2012
- Apple's new iPad brings 4G, better camera, more pixels - Mar 09, 2012
- iPads could replace books in China school - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: anurag kashyap, bala, cannes international film festival, chhatrapati shivaji international airport, customs duty, customs officers, customs officials, international film festival, ipad, ipads, kriti, malhotra, monga, mumbai airport, nimrat kaur, old technology, parallel section, siddharth, vasan, wednesday evening