Pearl Jam’s new album ‘Backspacer’ slated for Sept. releaseJune 2nd, 2009 - 7:43 pm ICT by GD
Pearl Jam performed at a very private concert at Seattle’s Showbox Theater on Thursday night last week. The band also shot a commercial for the retail giant Target. The commercial was filmed by Singles director Cameron Crowe, who is a long standing friend of the band.
One of the tracks that the band performed at the private concert was “The Fixer,” which is apparently one of the band’s new singles for their upcoming album Backspacer. Backspacer, the ninth studio album coming from Pearl Jam is slated to be released on the 22nd of September. “The Fixer”, which is the album’s first single, will be officially released in July.
In an interview, Kelly Curtis, the manager of Pearl Jam confirmed that, “the band has established a partnership with Target for the release of their next record, currently titled Backspacer, which is tentatively slated to drop September 22.”
Target, like Best Buy and Walmart has off late been endeavoring for exclusive music releases in the market. Most recently, Target scored an exclusive retail rights for the marketing of the Prince’s, LotusFlower triptych.
The last album that Pearl Jam released was through J. Records, a subsidiary of Sony. However, the band did not re-sign with the label hence making themselves free agents. Pearl Jam’s upcoming album, Backspacer will be the first album to be self-released by the band. For the past 18 years all their albums were released by Sony (excluding their last album, ‘Avacado’).
Apart from the band’s to-be released album, the fans of Pearl Jam have something more to celebrate. Come 2011, and the band will be celebrating its 20th anniversary with a documentary, which is currently being filmed by Martin Crowe.
- Eddie Vedder On 'Eat Pray Love' - Jul 31, 2010
- Coldplay and Rihanna team up - Sep 14, 2011
- R.E.M To Unleash The First Track On Its Next Album - Jan 22, 2011
- Linkin Park Logs In First Debut Number One - Aug 10, 2010
- Madonna's new album tops European Album Chart - Oct 03, 2009
- Coldplay premiere their new single 'Every teardrop is a waterfall' - Jun 04, 2011
- Pearl Jam to perform at Jay-Z's festival - May 23, 2012
- Lady Antebellum release their 3rd album 'Own the Night' - Sep 14, 2011
- 'No Doubt' to make a comeback with their new album - Jun 13, 2012
- Ronnie Wood's New Album Is Full Of Guests - Aug 30, 2010
- Red Hot Chili Peppers release their new single - Jul 19, 2011
- Soundgarden announce their tour - Apr 15, 2011
- Tarja's New Album To Be Released - Jul 20, 2010
- Ronnie Wood's first solo album in 9 years to hit stores in Sept - Aug 25, 2010
- Lady Antebellum releases album 'Own the night' - Sep 13, 2011
Tags: 20th anniversary, best buy, cameron crowe, director cameron crowe, free agents, friend of the band, j records, kelly curtis, lotusflower, martin crowe, music releases, new album, ninth studio album, pearl jam, private concert, showbox theater, subsidiary of sony, target, triptych, walmart