‘Paying Guest’ lacks freshness, has boring lyrics (IANS Music Review)May 20th, 2009 - 8:53 am ICT by IANS
By Ruchika Kher
Film: “Paying Guest”; Music Director: Sajid-Wajid; Lyricist: Jalees Sherwani, Wajid Ali and A.K. Upadhyay; Singers: Shaan, Earl D’Souza, Wajid Ali, Sonu Nigam, Amrita Kak and Sunidhi Chauhan; Rating: **
Composer duo Sajid-Wajid’s music is usually fast-paced and foot-tapping, evident in their previous albums “Welcome” and “Partner”. But “Paying Guest”, a film produced by Subhash Ghai, may fail to please music buffs as it lacks freshness.
The soundtrack encompasses four originals and two remixes.
The first song is “Jack and Jill”, which starts with an animated voice. The pace of the number, crooned by Shaan and Earl D’Souza, is slow and the track is high on western musical arrangements. But it fails to impress. The major drawback of the song is the lyrics.
The re-mixed version of “Jack and Jill” is faster and suitable for the dance floor.
Next is “Nazar se nazaria” with Sunidhi Chauhan singing in her trademark mischievous style. The song has a distinct resemblance with the hit song “Crazy kiya re” from the movie “Dhoom 2″. One can’t help but compare the two songs due to a similarity in the tunes. While “Crazy kiya re” was a hit, “Nazar se nazaria” is disappointing.
This song too has a remix version, which doesn’t add any novelty to it.
The title song “Paying Guest”, which is sung by composer-turned-singer Wajid Ali, fails to strike a chord either.
The album has a romantic number “Ya rabula rabbi”, which has Sonu Nigam, Amrita Kak and Earl D’Souza behind the mike. It has nothing extraordinary to offer and doesn’t attract the listener’s attention. The music is average and so are the lyrics.
On the whole, at a time when composers in Bollywood are experimenting with different sounds and genres, the music of “Paying Guest” lacks freshness, unlike most Subhash Ghai productions.
- Kunal Kohli apes late Vijay Anand's style in 'Uff' - Jun 06, 2012
- 'Wanted' music lacks zing (IANS Music Review) - Aug 11, 2009
- 'Teri Meri Kahaani' beautifully captures three eras (IANS Music Review) - Jun 01, 2012
- Adnan Sami lets the music play on 39th birthday! - Aug 23, 2012
- 'Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai' songs have no retention value (IANS Music Review) - Mar 31, 2010
- Shortcomings abound, 'Tezz' soundtrack still leaves a mark (IANS Music Review) - Apr 22, 2012
- Wajid becomes a father second time around - Apr 26, 2011
- 'Dabangg' has entertaining soundtrack (IANS Music Review) - Aug 09, 2010
- Shamir Tandon set to launch anti-piracy song - Apr 25, 2012
- Fans, family, friends bid adieu to Jagjit Singh - Oct 11, 2011
- 'Main Aurr Mrs Khanna' offers good and bad music (IANS Music Review) - Sep 11, 2009
- Get a taste of romance, action with 'Ek Tha Tiger' soundtrack (IANS Music Review) - Jul 28, 2012
- What makes Bollywood singers, choreographers love TV - Jan 12, 2011
- 'Dabangg' sweeps GIMA with six awards - Sep 23, 2011
- Average score by Reshammia in 'Bodyguard' (IANS Music Review) - Jul 31, 2011
Tags: amrita, dhoom 2, foot tapping, freshness, ghai, jack and jill, kak, lyricist, music buffs, music director, music review, nazar, nazaria, paying guest, romantic number, sherwani, sonu nigam, souza, sunidhi chauhan, upadhyay