Pavarotti’s widow slams ‘unseemly’ Italian media gossipNovember 14th, 2007 - 3:01 am ICT by admin
The 37-year-old said she felt compelled to appear on television to set the record straight for the sake of the couple’s 4-year-old daughter, Alice, and promised she wouldn’t do so again.
She defended herself and Pavarotti against a series of Italian media reports alleging that the tenor had left her 26 million dollars in debt, that she was fighting with his daughters from his first marriage over his will and that their marriage had been on the rocks before he died.
“I’m here and can defend myself. But Luciano can’t, and Alice is a four-year-old child. I owe it to the two people closest to me,” she added, in her first interview since his death last month,” BBC quoted her, as saying.
Pavarotti, who died aged 71, left half of his estate to Mantovani, his former personal assistant, and half to his four daughters.
She said she wanted to leave her daughter with solid evidence that she had defended herself and Pavarotti from the gossip.
“Luciano was someone who took care of everything in every sense… meaning he left enough for everyone. Between me and his daughters, there is no disagreement. The press and television that is trying to incriminate that relationship is truly unseemly,” she said.
Mantovani also confirmed media reports that she has multiple sclerosis, saying that while she had kept the condition private for 13 years, she did not want it to appear that she was ashamed of it.
Pavarotti died at his home in Modena, northern Italy, having being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2006. (ANI)
- Pavarotti's widow wants a museum for him - Oct 13, 2010
- Luciano Pavarotti 'kept daughter by his side on deathbed' - Jan 17, 2010
- Pavarotti's widow sues his pals for defamation - Nov 27, 2007
- Italian singer dies while on tour - Mar 02, 2012
- Pak woman's "cultural homicide" over arranged marriage outrages Italian politicians - Oct 05, 2010
- Indian jailed in Italy for killing son - Dec 23, 2011
- Tenors join hands to honour Pavarotti at Petra - Oct 14, 2008
- Pakistani held for killing wife in Italy - Oct 05, 2010
- Man held after Facebook posting on murder plan - Dec 02, 2010
- Australia's most famous opera singer, Dame Joan Sutherland, dies aged 83 - Oct 12, 2010
- Pavarotti's widow is suffering from multiple sclerosis - Nov 14, 2007
- 100-year-old woman killed in Italian quake (Lead) - May 20, 2012
- Pavarottis widow collects award on his behalf - Nov 15, 2007
- Britain's Got Talent star Faryl Smith duets with Luciano Pavarotti - Oct 23, 2009
- Four killed in Italy quake - May 20, 2012
Tags: appear on television, bbc, been on the rocks, compelled, daughter alice, four daughters, incriminate, italian media, left half, luciano, mantovmedia gossip, marriage, multiple sclerosis, northern italy, on the rocks, pancreatic cancer, pavarotti, set the record straight, state tv