Paul Newmans Oscars, racing cars to go under the hammerDecember 21st, 2008 - 3:17 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 21 (ANI): A private jet, racing cars and treasured Hollywood memorabilia, including three Oscars, which belonged to late actor Paul Newman, are to be auctioned to prevent a family war.
On September 26, 2008, Newman died at his long-time home in Westport, Connecticut, of complications arising from lung cancer.
Five months before his death in September, at 83, Newman changed his will to specify that the precious mementos of his life will be sold by his Newmans Own Foundation.
The vast collection includes a prized Nissan 300ZX Turbo race car, the Academy Awards, three Golden Globes and a Screen Actors Guild Award.
His foundation is expected to put the bequeathed items under the hammer early next year.
According to an expert, the estimated 300 items could raise 15 million pounds, given both the true and sentimental values.
The value to collectors is almost limitless. This will be one auction where theyre going to have to raise the roof to contain the excitement, the Daily Express quoted the expert, as saying.
American legal experts believe the auction is a masterstroke by the iconic actor.
Estate attorney Michael Jones said: Its clear that Mr Newman didnt want the children fighting over who got what car and everything else. To avoid infighting, he must have thought it was best to sell everything and then divide the spoils among his estate, the specifics of which are not publicly stated and never have to be.
Newman, whose net worth was estimated at about 400 million pounds, left his tangible personal assets, including a substantial property portfolio and works of art, to his wife of 50 years, Joanne Woodward.
Actress Joanne, Newmans five daughters from two marriages, an older brother, three sons-in-law and two grandchildren are expected to inherit substantial sums. (ANI)
- Queen Elizabeth keeps finances secret - May 06, 2012
- James Bond’s Aston Martin Fetches 2.6 million Pounds! - Oct 29, 2010
- Ferrari to auction F1 items to help Italian quake victims - Jun 01, 2012
- Princess Diana's Ancestral Home To Auction Some Belongings - Mar 31, 2010
- Paul Newman's widow to host star-studded gala for kids camp charity - May 06, 2009
- Doherty to auction Winehouse painting - May 06, 2012
- John Wayne's 'True Grit' eyepatch to go under the hammer - Apr 07, 2011
- Family regrets auction of soil with Mahatma's blood - Apr 03, 2012
- Bought for 60 pounds, car now to fetch 500,000 pounds - Jul 02, 2011
- Sir Norman Wisdom's treasures auctioned off for 'peanuts' - May 30, 2010
- Paul Newman's widow upset over his shameful biography - May 01, 2009
- Relics of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott's Antarctic expedition up for grabs - Sep 21, 2010
- Was Paul an 'alcoholic' and 'womaniser'? - Apr 22, 2009
- Rahul Bose to auction sports memorabilia for a cause - Jan 28, 2012
- James Bond's Aston Martin DB5 Sold In London Auction - Oct 28, 2010
Tags: actors guild award, actress joanne, attorney michael, daily express, golden globes, hollywood memorabilia, jet racing, joanne woodward, masterstroke, mr newman, nissan 300zx, own foundation, paul newmans, personal assets, racing cars, screen actors guild, screen actors guild award, sentimental values, substantial sums, westport connecticut