Paul Grant: From Successful Rock Drummer To The Soul Of SantoorJanuary 22nd, 2011 - 11:16 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Paul Grant for almost three decades now is still in love with the Indian classical music. Starting his career in California as a rock drummer to the sudden stumbling of the recordings of Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali and Ustad Ahmedjan Thirawka changed his life forever. In the country to perform a jugalbandi with Nayan Ghosh the American musician talks about his love for the Hindutani music.
To begin with Paul was attending the classes with Ustad Zakir Hussain for table at San Francisco’s Ali Akbar College of Music and he bumped into the sea recordings of Indian maestoes and was enthralled by it. In 1972 Grant comes to India and begins his tutelage in sitar under Pt. Radhika Mohan Moitra, table from Guru Jnan Prakash Ghosh and Ustad Zia Mohiuddin Dagar for surbahar. But it was actually santoor that was his calling.
After travelling to Kashmir in the 70s the sound of the instrument fascinated and took up the Sufiyana music from the legenadary Ustan Ghulam Mohamad Saaz Nawaaz and from there Paul’s search for the music and Sufi took him to Iran. There he studied under the Iranian santoor master Mohamad Reza Lotfi.
Now while all these trainings have enriched him and travelled the world with Nayan Ghosh performing sitar-santoor jugalbandi, Paul has found his own music too. The man plays the Tarkish saaz, Persian sehtaar, Afghan tamour, table, sitar, surbanar and other instruments.
– Sampurn Wire
- Let the music play: 136 years for Jalandhar fest - Dec 20, 2011
- Revisit traditional Punjabi music at capital fest - May 23, 2012
- Musician siblings torn between riyaz and clothes shop - Nov 14, 2011
- 21 music artists come together for new 'Vande Mataram' - Jan 25, 2012
- Lady Gaga loves the sitar: Fateh Ali Khan (With Images) - Jun 03, 2012
- When Shiv Kumar, Zakir Hussain performed just for Big B - Mar 22, 2010
- I'm glad restaurants, soaps are named Santoor: Shiv Kumar Sharma (Interview) - Aug 27, 2010
- I had a great time recoding with Asha Bhosle: Shujaat Khan - Dec 01, 2010
- Shujaat Husain Khan's Debuts In Bollywood With 'Mr. Singh Mrs. Mehta' - Jun 04, 2010
- Amitabh to learn sitar, sarod - Mar 21, 2012
- Grammy Calling For Kolkata Based Album ‘Soul Call’ - Dec 04, 2010
- I'm trying to maintain classical music's purity: Debu Chaudhuri (Interview) - May 28, 2010
- Russell Brand – Katy Perry Declared Man And Wife - Oct 26, 2010
- Olympic-bound paddlers leave for exposure trip - Jun 06, 2012
- Artistes perform on music composer Hridaynath Mangeshkar's birthday - Oct 27, 2010
Tags: ali akbar college, ali akbar college of music, american musician, college of music, ghulam ali, indian classical music, jugalbandi, mohamad reza, nayan, own music, paul grant, prakash, rock drummer, s ali, saaz, sitar, surbahar, three decades, zakir hussain, zia mohiuddin dagar