Paul Conrad’s Cartoons RememberedSeptember 5th, 2010 - 9:44 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Los Angeles, Sep 5, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Legendary cartoonist Paul Conrad passed away on September 4 in his California home. His son David Conrad revealed that he died of natural causes and had his family around him at the time of death. Considered one of the most prolific cartoonist, Paul Conrad used his pencil to poke fun at US Presidents and other politicians during his 50 year career.
Paul Conrad made cartoons of US Presidents from Harry S Truman to George W Bush in Los Angeles Times which saw the newspapers popularity rise over the years. He worked with the newspaper for 30 years. One of his most famous and favorite target was the infamous American president Richard Nixon. During the time of Richard Nixon’s resignation, Paul Conrad delivered one of his masterpieces in which a helicopter was shown flying above the White House and the caption read ‘One flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest’. His son David Conrad once said that his father was proud to be among Richard Nixon’s most hated people.
In an interview in 2006, Paul Conrad had famously spoke about Richard Nixon and said that he felt two things about him. He said that he wondered how did an idiot like him become the president and also thought of how soon the Americans can get rid of him. He then made the comparison with the then president George W Bush and said that almost the same thing applies to him. In one of his cartoons, he portrayed George W Bush as Sisyphus with a boulder tagged ‘Iraq’ that he was trying to push up a hill. Paul Conrad had once revealed that one of his earliest cartoons was on the wall of his elementary school’s bathroom.
- George Bush fascinated by rich Chinese culture - Aug 11, 2011
- Obama visit sixth by US president in over 50 years - Oct 30, 2010
- No one quite like Mario, say Goan artists - Dec 12, 2011
- Book reveals Nixon had secret psychiatric care - Mar 06, 2012
- Controversial cartoons: From arrests to murder attempts - May 11, 2012
- Nixon Library lifts the lid on Watergate scandal - Apr 01, 2011
- India, Spain share a laugh over cartoons (With Images) - Jun 24, 2012
- George W. Bush Responds To Kanye West's Racial Comment, Calls It Disgusting - Nov 04, 2010
- Obama shares ancestral ties with newest senator, George Bush? - Feb 01, 2010
- Cartoonist sent to judicial custody, government faces flak on issue (Roundup) - Sep 10, 2012
- Democrat Obama and Republican Brown are cousins! - Jan 30, 2010
- Bush declines Obama's invitation to go to Ground Zero - May 04, 2011
- Spanish cartoonist dies - Apr 04, 2012
- Former US first lady Betty Ford dead - Jul 09, 2011
- George W. Bush voted most unpopular former US president - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: american president, california home, cartoonist, cuckoo, david conrad, george w bush, harry s truman, kar, los angeles times, masterpieces, one flew over the cuckoo s nest, paul conrad, president george w bush, president richard nixon, presidents, resignation, richard nixon, sisyphus, target, time of death