Patti Lupone teams up with Mandy Patinkin at Shea’sApril 17th, 2009 - 7:02 pm ICT by GD
Patti Lupone will return to Shea’s Annual Gala with Mandy Ptinkin on May 2, as the stars come together for An Evening with Patti LuPone and Many Patinkin, since their Tony-winning performance in the musical Evita in 1979. Lupone had played Evita as Patinkin played Che Guevara in the musical.
Patti Lupone is a first rate Broadway star who has acted in super-hit revivals of Anything Goes, Sweeney Todd, and very recently as Rose in Gypsy, which won her a second Tony Award after Evita gave her the first. She has also acted as Fantine in Les Miserables in a role that made her the first American to win the Olivier award. She won a second Olivier for The Cradle will Rock. She has also appeared as Norma Dsmond in the Broadway super-hit musical Sunset Boulevard.
So how did Patti and Mady get together again? Patti said a booker from Richardson devised this. She explains, “He called up my agent and said, ‘I’ve got Mandy. How about Patti?’ Then he called Mandy’s agent and said, ‘I’ve got Patti. How about Mandy?’ And he put us together for the first time in 25 years! After that, Mandy said to me, ‘I don’t want to do ‘You sing a Song; I sing a song; we do a duet.’ I said, ‘Fine.’ He said, ‘Let’s me put a show together and I want to direct.’ So he and [pianist] Paul [Ford] assembled the material and that’s how it happened.”
Mandy is a star in his own right. He won a Tony for playing Che Guevara in Evita and has worked in he Wild Party, Sunday in the Park with George, The Secret Garden, and The Knife. He has got an Emmy Award for his work on Chicago Hope. His other works are Criminal Minds, Yentl, Ragtime, Dick Tracy, Broken Glass, Life with Mikey and The Princess Bride.
- Ricky Martin happy with family, return to Broadway - Feb 14, 2012
- Ricky Martin to be teacher in TV series - Feb 07, 2012
- Ricky Martin to bring Evita back to Broadway - Jun 10, 2010
- Ricky Martin returns to Broadway - Mar 14, 2012
- Ricky Martin To Play Che In "Evita" Revival - Jun 11, 2010
- Ricky Martin Returns To Broadway With "Evita" - Jun 11, 2010
- Ricky Martin denies marriage plans - Jan 07, 2012
- Ricky Martin wraps up world tour - Nov 14, 2011
- Ricky Martin nominated for award for `Evita' role - Apr 28, 2012
- Catherine Zeta-Jones to play Cleopatra - Jun 18, 2012
- Neil Patrick Harris to host Tony Awards? - May 05, 2011
- New `Che' comic inspired by his most famous portrait - Apr 18, 2012
- Che Guevara's motorcycle companion dead - Mar 06, 2011
- Zac Efron eager to star in 'Memphis' movie - Aug 19, 2010
- Patti LuPone to make an appearance on Glee - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: anything goes sweeney, broadway star, che guevara, chicago hope, cradle will rock, criminal minds, dick tracy, fantine, life with mikey, mady, mandy patinkin, musical evita, olivier award, patti lupone, paul ford, princess bride, sunday in the park, sunday in the park with george, sunset boulevard, wild party