Patrick Swayze battled cancer like a ‘beast’, says bookMay 8th, 2009 - 5:58 pm ICT by ANI
New York, May 8 (ANI): A new biography of Patrick Swayze has revealed how the actor bravely battled his cancer like a ‘beast’, after he was diagnosed with the illness.
In the book, titled ‘Patrick Swayze: One Last Dance’, the ‘Ghost’ star has confessed that It was on New Year’s Eve 2007 that he realised how his health was deteriorating.
And then, his wife Lisa, was informed that Swayze had pancreatic cancer and was given just a 5 percent chance to live.
However, Swayze didn’t give up on his career because of his poor health, but he was even more determined to work.
After receiving the news of his illness, Swayze called Sony executive Jamie Erlicht, whose company was co-producing his A&E show, ‘The Beast’.
“He told us, ‘Guys, I have some horrible news. But if you can be patient and stand by me, I’m going to come back and do the show. I’m in great condition. I’m a cowboy. I’m a dancer. I’ll beat this,’” the New York Daily News quoted Erlicht as saying.
And, while filming the TV series in Chicago, Swayze stayed focused on his work despite his sickness.
In fact, crewmembers have cited that he worked as long as 12 hours at a time, all while refusing painkillers.
And finally, the star completed every one of his 12 episodes, and when the show wrapped on Nov. 21 last year, Swayze was hopeful for the future and his survival.
He said: “My big regret is the physical damage I’ve done to my body. I can do almost anything physically and I used to believe I was invincible, breaking bones over and over, playing football, doing gymnastics, diving, ballet, doing my own stunts, kick boxing, staging fights … it all seems a little stupid to me now.” (ANI)
- Actor Patrick Swayze Dies At 57 - Sep 15, 2009
- Ghost and Dirty Dancing 'cowboy' fondly remembered - Sep 17, 2009
- Jennifer Grey takes inspiration from Patrick Swayze - Sep 15, 2010
- Details of Swayze memoir released - Sep 17, 2009
- Cancer-stricken Patrick Swayze dies at 57 - Sep 15, 2009
- Patrick Swayze's widow signs for TV spot to help serious patients - May 26, 2010
- Swayze predicted he was "dead man" after pancreatic cancer diagnosis - Sep 30, 2009
- Lisa Niemi convinced Patrick Swayze back from the dead - May 07, 2010
- Actor Patrick Swayze dead at 57 after cancer battle (Lead) - Sep 15, 2009
- Frail cancer-stricken Patrick Swayze continues 60-a-day cigarette habit - Mar 14, 2009
- Swayze was a real cowboy with tender heart, says 'Dirty Dancing' co-star - Sep 15, 2009
- 'Patrick Swayze Memorial' in North Carolina - Sep 19, 2009
- Swayze was romantic superstar with charm, swagger (Obituary) - Sep 15, 2009
- Patrick Swayze no more - Sep 15, 2009
- Actor Patrick Swayze still alive, says spokeswoman - May 20, 2009
Tags: ballet, beast, breaking bones, dancer, gymnastics, last dance, new biography, new year, new york daily news, one last dance, painkillers, patrick swayze, poor health, sony executive, staging, stand by me, stunts, tv series, wife lisa, york daily news