‘Passion of the Christ’ star says playing Jesus wrecked his careerMay 2nd, 2011 - 2:51 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 2 (ANI): Actor Jim Caviezel has spoken out about how playing Jesus in Mel Gibson’s controversial movie ‘The Passion of the Christ’ has wrecked his career.
Since playing the Son of God in the 2004 film he said offers had dried up and was shunned by many within his own industry.
Although a box office hit taking more than 400million dollars worldwide the movie was condemned as being anti-Semitic.
Gibson, the film’s director, was later accused of making anti-Jewish remarks after being arrested for drink driving.
Caviezel recalled how he was warned against taking the role by Gibson himself who warned him he would never work in Hollywood again.
“He said, ‘You’ll never work in this town again.’ I told him, ‘We all have to embrace our crosses’,” the Daily Mail quoted him as telling an audience of churchgoers in Orlando, Florida.
Prior to playing Jesus, Caviezel was considered one of Hollywood rising stars and appeared in ‘The Count of Monte Cristo’ and ‘ngel Eyes’ with Jennifer Lopez.
Caviezel, a devout Roman Catholic, said he knew playing Jesus would be risky.
“Jesus is as controversial now as he has ever been. Not much has changed in 2,000 years,” he added. (ANI)
- Dita Von Teese victim of Anti-Semitism - Aug 31, 2010
- Winona Ryder claims Mel Gibson is anti-Semitic and homophobic - Dec 16, 2010
- Gibson regrets becoming a movie star - Apr 23, 2011
- Mel Gibson's Racist Rant Against His Estranged Girlfriend Caught On Tape - Jul 03, 2010
- 'Anti-Jewish' John Galliano 'could face prison despite apology' - Mar 03, 2011
- Troubled Mel Gibson's Movie, 'The Beaver', Is Scheduled To Release In March 2011 - Dec 17, 2010
- Mel Gibson dropped by talent agency drops after release of tape - Jul 10, 2010
- Mel Gibson sought 'death by cop' after wife Robyn left him - Feb 02, 2011
- Mel Gibson Movie 'The Beaver' Gets Release Date - Dec 17, 2010
- BBC comes under fire for broadcasting film containing nudity at lunchtime - May 30, 2012
- Mel Gibson slammed over alleged taped rant - Jul 02, 2010
- Israel President denies calling British 'anti-Semites' - Aug 02, 2010
- Is Mel Gibson's film career in danger? - Jul 03, 2010
- Mel Gibson once wanted to kill himself - Feb 03, 2011
- 'Judaism' most popular religion in the US - Dec 25, 2010
Tags: actor jim caviezel, audience, box office, count of monte cristo, daily mail, hollywood, jennifer lopez, jim caviezel, london, mel gibson, orlando florida, passion of the christ, playing jesus, rising stars, roman catholic, son of god