Parvin Dabas edits scenes hours before film releaseAugust 19th, 2011 - 2:04 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 19 (IANS) It has been a harrowing week for Parvin Dabas who had to run from pillar-to-post to get a censor board clearance for his film “Sahi Dhandhe, Galat Bande”.
Hours before its release Friday, the new producer-director and the not-so-old actor was apparently asked to delete all references to a particular politician and his ideology.
“I’ve had to make some cuts. They (censor board) felt some lines were similar to what an actual politician has said,” Parvin said.
Parvin had to make the necessary changes at the eleventh hour, editing out the politician’s character.
“The prints were ready to be dispatched across the world. Only the censor certificate was awaited. But until Wednesday there was no sign of the censor clearance. Parvin was in a state of suppressed hysteria,” said a friend.
Till Wednesday, Parvin was on tenterhooks waiting for a signature on the censor certificate for his film.
He finally got a relief when that elusive certificate was obtained Wednesday afternoon.
Until then all the prints of his debut venture were frozen in their tracks.
“Sahi Dhandhe, Galat Bande” offended the censor board because of a real life character of a politician in the film.
Politics and politicians still seem unacceptable as fodder for cinema, at least to the censor board.
To no one’s surprise, the actor-turned-director found his directorial debut in a bit of a fix.
Says a source, “The politician in the film resembles the real-life politician in all detail. But most of all, it’s the politician’s words that are a dead giveaway. They are an exact replica of what the real-life politician said in speeches.”
A special screening in Delhi for dignitaries had to be cancelled Tuesday night. But Parvin is not complaining.
“The important thing is, I can release my film now. The censor certificate got delayed because of a minor glitch - our fault entirely,” he said.
Then he blurts out, “I’ve been through a lot. I’m just happy that my film could be released on time.”
- Emraan effortless actor, says Bipasha (Movie Snippets) - Sep 05, 2012
- Preeti back to full-time acting with 'Yeh Hai Mumbai' (With Image) - Jan 12, 2012
- 'Sahi Dhande...', an honest effort by Parvin Dabas (IANS Hindi Film Review) - Aug 20, 2011
- Films don't work because of trends: Parvin Dabbas - Aug 17, 2011
- Fan impresses Anushka with gold bracelet! (Movie Snippets) - Aug 26, 2011
- Parvin and I never behave like husband-wife on sets: Preeti - Jul 06, 2011
- Kids bring spontaneity on sets, says Parvin Dabas - Aug 30, 2012
- Actor Parvin Dabas turns producer-director too - Jun 01, 2010
- Parvin Dabas turns director with 'Sahi Dhandhe Galat Bande' - May 27, 2011
- Bollywood trains arc lights on Delhi - Aug 21, 2011
- 'No One Killed Jessica' gets A-certificate, makers happy - Dec 23, 2010
- 'Barfi!' gets U-certificate, Anurag Basu excited - Sep 02, 2012
- The stork comes visiting B-town - Aug 04, 2011
- 'Sahi Dhandhe...' music in tune with film's theme (IANS Music Review) - Aug 07, 2011
- Forcing farmers off their lands unfortunate: Preeti Jhangiani - Nov 28, 2011
Tags: dead giveaway, debut venture, dignitaries, directorial debut, eleventh hour, exact replica, film release, fodder, hysteria, life character, minor glitch, parvin dabas, pillar, politician, politicians, prints, signature, speeches, tuesday night, wednesday afternoon