‘Panjaa’ an out and out Pawan Kalyan film; a must watch (Telugu Movie Review)December 11th, 2011 - 4:32 pm ICT by IANS
Film: “Panjaa”; Cast: Pawan Kalyan, Sarah Jane Dias, Anjali Lavania, Jackie Shroff, Adivi Sesh, Thanikella Bharani, Brahmanandam and Ali; Producers: Neelima, Shobu Yarlagadda; Screenplaywriter-Director: Vishnuvardhan; Composer: Yuvan Shankar Raja; Camera: P.S. Vinod; Rating: *** 1/2
Pawan Kalyan always tries to be different. At the beginning of his career, he was seen as style icon, but later he moved away from formula films and started focusing on out-of-the-box ideas. His huge fan following may not like him to experiment, but Pawan Kalyan is what he is. His films carry style with less space for regular commercial ingredients.
In “Panjaa”, Pawal Kalyan sports a new look - he is seen with a beard. His looks apart, the film’s strength is the stylish narration by director Vishnuvardhan, known for top class stylish Tamil films like “Billa” and “Pattiyal”.
This is Vishnuvardhan’s first Telugu film and it does reflects his signature style. Like his Tamil film “Billa”, Vishnuvardhan ensures a great level of technical finesse in “Panjaa”. Every sequence is as stylish as it can get.
Vinod’s cinematography and Yuvan Shankar Raja’s composition are impressive. But is is a Pawan Kalyan film all the way - his elegance, dialogue delivery and action sequences are a treat to watch. And the way he performs in the “Papa Raayudu” song with Brahmanandam is amazing. In fact, it one of the many high points of the film.
On the flip side, the film moves at a slower pace in many sequences. The story is not fresh and the screenplay is old too. The placement of the title song, which is so popular, is shown after the film gets over.
Pawan plays Jai, who works for a don Bhagwan, who is from Kolkotta. Bhagwan has a standing enmity with Kulkarni, another don, but Jai protects his master like a rock.
With his astute moves Jai has been able to mastermind attacks on the opponents.
Bar dancer Jahnavi, who is in Bhagwan’s group, likes Jai, while Bhagwan’s son Munna, known for his atrocities, eyes her too.
But Jai likes Sandhya, a shy girl who loves nature.
Munna kills Jahnavi and it outrages Jai who kills Munna. This creates a rift between him and his boss, Bhagwan. Meanwhile the Kulkarni gang seeks revenge on Jai who takes refuge in his girlfriend’ house.
Later Jai takes on the gangsters singlehandedly and eliminates all of them.
Pawal Kalyan is stylish as a performer and makes an impact with his new looks and performance. Even after 15 years, Pawan remains a style icon.
Sarah Jane Dias scores with a good performance, while Anjali does skin show. Adivi Shesh makes a good impact as an antagonist.
Jackie Shroff and Atul Kulkarni too have done well in their respective roles which have limited scope. Brahmanandam and Ali provides comedy.
The film has good art work and styling too.
Over all “Panjaa” is a well made film, but its weakest point is the slow narration.
- A big southern director eyes Bollywood (With Image) - Dec 17, 2011
- Pawan Kalyan hits the bull's eye with 'Gabbar Singh' (Telugu Movie Review) - May 13, 2012
- 'David Billa' - watch it only for Ajith (Telugu Movie Review) - Jul 14, 2012
- 'Shakthi' a disappointment for NTR fans (Telugu Movie Review) - Apr 03, 2011
- 'Mr. Nookayya' out and out Manchu Manoj fare (Telugu Movie Review) - Mar 11, 2012
- 'Brindavanam' - a good treat for family audience (Telugu Film Review) - Oct 16, 2010
- Stylishly made 'Teen Maar' entertains (Telugu Movie Review) - Apr 17, 2011
- 'Aaranya Kaandam' - a realistic account of gangsters (Tamil Movie Review) - Jun 11, 2011
- Movie Review Of ‘Aaranya Kaandam’: A Predominantly Riveting Tamil Movie - Jan 21, 2011
- Pawan Kalyan's Khushigaa shoots In Varanasi - Oct 08, 2010
- It's Allu Arjun all the way in 'Julayi' (Telugu Movie Review) - Aug 12, 2012
- 'Dookudu' an out and out Mahesh Babu film (Telugu Movie Review) - Sep 25, 2011
- Maalik Ek Preview: Jackie Shroff Makes A Comeback On Big Screen - Oct 29, 2010
- Thanks to weak script, 'Anna Bond' boring (Kannada Movie Review) - May 04, 2012
- Bhoot And Friends Movie Review: Even Kids Will Find It Boring! - Dec 31, 2010
Tags: action sequences, adivi, anjali, bhagwan, bharani, billa, brahmanandam, jackie shroff, jahnavi, pawan kalyan, sarah jane dias, sesh, signature style, style icon, tamil film, tamil films, technical finesse, telugu film, vinod, vishnuvardhan