Pak HR activist files petition for recovery of Dr Aafia from US jailNovember 18th, 2008 - 2:14 pm ICT by ANI
Karachi, Nov 18 (ANI): A leading Pakistani human rights activist has reportedly filed a constitutional petition seeking intervention by the Sindh High Court (SHC) to ensure the release and safe return of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, who is presently put in a US jail facing legal trial on terror charges.
Dr Aafia was allegedly nabbed by US security forces from Kabul on the charge that she made a murderous attack on some of the securitymen, and later shifted to a US jail. But, her family members claim that she had been missing for the past several years after being kidnapped, alongwith her children, from an airport in Pakistan.
Through counsel Iqbal Aqeel, Human rights activist Intikhab Alam Suri maintained that Dr Aafia and her three children were taken into illegal custody and forcibly flown to USA by unidentified officials and intelligence sleuths.
Suri did not mention the alleged date and time when the detenues or kidnapped victims were apprehended and taken out of Pakistan, but sought direction from the SHC to police authorities to register a kidnapping case against those involved in her arrest, detention and removal from Pakistani soil.
Suri also prayed the court to direct the federal interior and foreign ministries to ensure her release and safe return. The petition was accepted and is likely to be heard in a day or two. (ANI)
- Shocking secret audio recording suggests Pak handed over Aafia Siddiqui to US - Feb 15, 2011
- 'No Pakistani safe across the globe following Aafia's 86-year prison sentence': IJN - Dec 22, 2010
- Aafia's family vows 'movement' for her release from American jail - Sep 24, 2010
- 'Bold steps' by Pak govt. might help in Aafia Siddiqui's release, says sister - Jan 31, 2011
- Pakistani Consul General visits Aafia Siddiqui at Texas detention facility - Apr 16, 2011
- Taliban will swap kidnapped UK aid worker for arrested Pak scientist Aafia Siddique - Sep 27, 2010
- Pak terror suspect Aafia Siddiqui may have to spend entire life in US prison - Feb 06, 2010
- Pak Govt. can bring back Qaeda suspect Aafia Siddiqui in a day if it wants: US counsel - Jun 11, 2010
- US human rights group terms Dr. Aafia's sentence "unfair and unjust" - Sep 25, 2010
- Pakistan seeks repatriation of terror suspect Aafia - Sep 19, 2010
- Imran Khan urges Pak Govt. to take concrete action for Aafia's release - Feb 07, 2010
- Lahore High Court directs Govt. to use all means to defend terror suspect Dr.Aafia - Jun 06, 2010
- Lahore High Court says only govt entitled to take action in Aafia case - Feb 09, 2010
- Haqqani's 'dubious role' in Aafia case exposed - Sep 26, 2010
- International treaties hamper Aafia's return to Pakistan - Sep 25, 2010
Tags: aafia siddiqui, authorities, family members, human rights activist, intelligence, kabul, kidnapping case, murderous attack, pakistan, petition, safe return, security forces, shc, sindh high court, soil, suri, terror charges