‘Paid News’ claims its first victimOctober 21st, 2011 - 11:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 21 (IANS) In a landmark verdict, the Election Commission has disqualified Umlesh Yadav, a member of the Uttar Pradesh assembly from Bisauli constituency, for spending Rs.21,250 on “Paid News”.
Umlesh is the wife of liquor baron and strongman D.P. Yadav. Her son Vikas has been convicted for murdering Nitish Katara. Umlesh was elected 2007 on a Rashtriya Parivartan Dal ticket.
According to a poll panel order of Oct 20, the disqualified MLA can’t be a member of either house of parliament or of the legislative assembly or legislative council of any state under Section 10A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951 for a period of three years.
Yadav was disqualified by the Commission on the ground of not showing correct accounts of her election expenses and suppressing the expenditure incurred on paid news, said the EC in a statement Friday.
A complaint was filed against Umlesh Yadav before Press Council of India after which the Council investigated into the allegation of paid news, published by Hindi dailies Amar Ujala and “Dainik Jagaran on the eve of the assembly election, 2007.
On the basis of PCI report and the complaint filed by Yogendra Kumar, the Commission investigated and heard both the parties and found that Yadav had indulged in Paid News during elections and did not disclose the true and correct account of her election expenses before the Commission.
- Government awaiting report on paid news: Soni - Jun 25, 2010
- Election Commission to discuss paid news at all-party meet today - Oct 04, 2010
- 'Free press more important than free government' - Dec 28, 2010
- Government in consultative mode to check paid news - Mar 27, 2010
- BJP disqualifies six MLAs for cross-voting - Nov 18, 2011
- 766 complaints of paid news received in Jan-March polls: Quraishi - Jul 06, 2012
- Tilak Kumar elected INS president - Sep 13, 2012
- Poll panel's proceedings against Ashok Chavan stayed - Apr 24, 2011
- NBA slams Katju's move to regulate electronic media - Aug 30, 2012
- BSP man killed as violence continues in UP despite appeals - Mar 10, 2012
- RJD legislator slaps official - Apr 28, 2011
- Legislators declare election expenses well below limits - Jun 28, 2011
- Koda moves high court against poll panel - Jul 07, 2011
- Andhra speaker disqualifies 16 Jagan loyalists (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Presidential poll conclude in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: allegation, assembly election, constituency, dailies, election 2007, election commission, election expenses, first victim, house of parliament, jagaran, landmark verdict, legislative assembly, legislative council, liquor baron, mla, press council of india, section 10a, strongman, ujala, vikas