‘Overly sexual’ cartoon ad offends British TV viewersApril 28th, 2012 - 10:45 am ICT by IANS
London, April 28 (IANS) TV viewers in Britain have got their knickers in a twist over the sight of women dancing in bikinis and a big woman flashing her underwear in a cartoon advertisement.
The 30-second promotion for insurance company confused.com has so far sparked 37 complaints from outraged members of the public who describe it being unduly sexual.
Cartoon characters with large breasts in skimpy bikinis are shown jumping up and down in slow motion to a song recorded by American disco group the Village People’s YMCA while another woman’s short dress rides up to expose her pink knickers, the Daily Mail reported.
But the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), which investigated the firm’s ad, has declined to take any action despite viewers’ backlash.
A spokesman for the authority said the organisation had received a number of complaints on a range of issues including the ads.
They added that other complaints were lodged because the advert was “overly sexual and inappropriate for children to see, and that it is offensive in stereotyping on religious and race grounds.
- Brit fashion brand falls foul of advertising rules with naked models - Apr 06, 2011
- Yves Saint Laurent perfume 'drug simulation' advert banned - Feb 02, 2011
- Beyonce's raunchy perfume ad branded 'too hot for kids' - Nov 17, 2010
- Ryanair slammed for 'fun in the sun' ads that led to chilly destinations - Apr 27, 2011
- Fanning's 'sexually provocative' perfume ad banned - Nov 10, 2011
- UK 's Advertising Standards Authority gets power to monitor website text - Mar 01, 2011
- Ultra low calorie diet advert banned from TV for misleading viewers - Apr 03, 2011
- 'Anti-German' radio ad banned in UK - Jan 20, 2010
- Gay priests' ice-cream advertisement banned - Oct 27, 2010
- Cheryl Cole's L'Oreal hair products ad escapes the chop - Jun 02, 2010
- 'Sexy' sumos pose in new advert for Japanese car manufacturer - Feb 19, 2011
- Rachel Weisz's L'oreal ad banned - Feb 02, 2012
- Sofa King advert banned by UK Advt Standards Agency - Mar 01, 2012
- Strip club reprimanded for 'Say hello to my new boobs' ad at park entrance - Sep 17, 2009
- No bikini beautiful on billboards in Britain any more - Oct 11, 2011
Tags: advert, advertisement, advertising standards authority, asa, backlash, british tv viewers, cartoon characters, confused com, daily mail, disco group, insurance company, knickers, large breasts, short dress, skimpy bikinis, slow motion, spokesman, underwear, village people, ymca