Our society has double standards: TannishthaAugust 8th, 2012 - 5:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 8 (IANS) Actress Tannishtha Chatterjee, who has worked in both Indian and international cinema, feels people have double standards when it comes to women.
“Our society and the people living in it are full of double standards. On one hand, we enjoy watching item numbers, but on the other hand if a girl goes to a party in a short skirt, she gets molested,” Tannishtha told IANS.
Having worked in movies like “Road movie” and “Dekh Indian Circus”, she will next be seen playing a bride imported from Bengal in Nila Madhab Panda’s forthcoming film, “Jalpari: The Dessert Mermaid”.
The movie deals with the issue of female foeticide. Tannishtha said: “When I read the script, I thought being a woman and an actress it is very important for me to support a film like this.”
She has worked with child artist Lehar Khan who is the protagonist in the film and says children are natural actors.
“I love working with children. They are so natural. There are many stars in the west who think twice before casting a lead protagonist as a child. They are so genuine in their acting,” said the actress, who is best known in the west for her performance in 2007 British film “Brick Lane”.
According to Tannishtha, the USP of “Jalpari: The Dessert Mermaid” lies in the way a message is sent across to audience in a fun manner.
“Jalpari..” also features Parvin Dabas, Rahul Singh, Suhasini Mulay and V.M. Badola in supporting roles.
- Nila Madhab's 'Jalpari' screened at Marche du Cannes - May 22, 2012
- 'Jalpari' not a serious film: Nila Madhab Panda - Aug 23, 2012
- Box office offers mix bag this Friday (IANS preview) - Aug 29, 2012
- Spending crores on promotion doesn't guarantee success: Panda - Aug 31, 2012
- Proving yourself biggest challenge: Suraj Jagan (Movie Snippets) - Aug 24, 2012
- 'Jalpari' - a little gem, with message on female foeticide (IANS Movie Review) - Aug 31, 2012
- Watch out for mixed bag of movies this week (IANS Preview) - Jul 16, 2012
- 'Jalpari' to compete at Asia Pacific Screen Awards - Jun 11, 2012
- Aamir brings smile to 'Jalpari' director (Movie Snippets)(With Images) - Aug 30, 2012
- Kids bring spontaneity on sets, says Parvin Dabas - Aug 30, 2012
- Emraan effortless actor, says Bipasha (Movie Snippets) - Sep 05, 2012
- Driving social change for women - via stardom - Sep 12, 2012
- Tannishtha first Indian to co-host APSA - Nov 17, 2011
- 'I Am Kalam' about dreaming big, making big! (IANS Preview) - Aug 03, 2011
- Tannishtha, Nawazuddin win big award at NY film fest - May 31, 2012
Tags: being a woman, bengal, brick lane, british film, chatterjee, child artist, forthcoming film, indian circus, international cinema, lehar, madhab, natural actors, nila, parvin dabas, protagonist, rahul singh, road movie, short skirt, suhasini mulay, working with children