Osian to open unique cultural centre by 2009June 15th, 2008 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 15 (IANS) The old Minerva theatre in Mumbai is all set to be revamped into a unique cultural centre that will house a multiplex, library, media archives and an art gallery. And a model of this was unveiled at the Osian-Cinefan film fest here. The model of ‘Osianama’ - as the centre will be called - was displayed at the concluding session of the 10th Osian’s-Cinefan Festival of Asian and Arab Cinema Saturday evening, which was attended by a host of Bollywood celebrities like Shammi Kapoor, Aamir Khan, Shyam Benegal and Basu Chatterjee.
Said Neville Tuli, Osian’s chairman: “The grand finale of the 10th Osian’s Cinefan Film Festival Mumbai was a brilliant success and the unveiling of the Osianama has created a huge expectation amidst our public, intelligentsia and the film fraternity.”
He said it would take 9-10 months for Osian’s cultural centre to come up at Minerva theatre at Lamington Road and it is expected to be ready by mid 2009.
Tuli said: “Nearly 5,500 people pass through our door step (events organised by Osian). Even if, one percent comes in to experience our centre, then also we will get a huge number of visitors.”
The complex will include a central debating chamber to facilitate free discussion and expression of ideas, a duplex cinema theatre showing world cinema, contemporary gallery spaces for cutting-edge art and media, archives, library and research rooms.
Osianama will also have a book and design store and spaces for educational and appreciation courses along with an auction house for film and sports memorabilia.
Tuli said the aim of building such a cultural centre was to provide a world-class platform for the general public. According to him, it would be a platform for interaction between the middle class and the elite, and it would be a place where art and cinema would share common space.
- Osianama to open in Delhi, not Mumbai - Jul 11, 2012
- India's screen divas are symbols of Indian femininity: Neville Tuli (Interview)(With Image) - Jun 15, 2012
- Osian back with second mega auction of movie art - Jul 11, 2012
- Osian's film fest back with rare, bold films - Jul 11, 2012
- Osian's film fest begins with tribute to Rajesh Khanna - Jul 28, 2012
- Aamir now owns Shammi Kapoor's jacket - Aug 01, 2012
- Osian's Cinefan Film Festival returns in July - Mar 24, 2012
- Make space for arthouse cinema: Kiran Rao - Jul 30, 2012
- Documenting the history of Asian cinema - Dec 10, 2010
- Lack of respect for intellect, creativity pained Mani: Neville Tuli - Jul 06, 2011
- Osian's new art festival to look at anatomy of violence - Jun 12, 2009
- Filmmaking losing its iconic identity: Shekhar Kapur - Aug 01, 2012
- 11th Osian's-Cinefan Film Festival all set to kick of in New Delhi - Oct 15, 2009
- Market for antiquities still strong in India: Neville Tuli (With Images) - Jan 30, 2012
- Delhi's winter arts calendar a riot of colours, creativity - Nov 25, 2010
Tags: aamir khan, appreciation courses, archives library, auction house, bollywood celebrities, brilliant success, chatterjee, cinema theatre, contemporary gallery, cutting edge art, debating chamber, gallery spaces, grand finale, intelligentsia, media archives, shammi kapoor, shyam benegal, sports memorabilia, world cinema, world class platform