Oscar-winning songwriter Joseph Brooks accused of rapeJune 24th, 2009 - 1:38 pm ICT by ANI
New York, June 24 (ANI): Oscar winning songwriter Joseph Brooks was arrested Tuesday and charged with sexually assaulting 11 women.
Brooks, who wrote award winning song “You Light Up My Life”, and his personal assistant Shawni Lucier, have been accused of luring aspiring models and actresses with promises of parts in his next movie.
“For the most part, they were people who read an ad and thought this might be the big chance to be a star,” the New York Daily News quoted Assistant District Attorney Maxine Rosenthal, as saying.
“I feel like a weight has been lifted,” said victim Loretta Spruell, 23, of Washington State, who once tried out for “American Idol.”
“I’m glad he is going to be held accountable for all the lives he’s destroyed and not hurt anyone else,” she added.
Brooks, 71, turned himself in to face 82 counts of sex-related charges, including rape. He whined about being fingerprinted, sources said.
Brooks personal assistant Lucier is accused of lining up the trysts for her boss with beautiful women from Oregon, California, Florida and Washington State.
“She acted as the gatekeeper,” said Lt. Adam Lamboy of the Manhattan Special Victims Squad.
Lucier would then fly with the women and drive them to Brooks’ home.
“[Brooks] would say, ‘You ought to have a glass of wine, that’s part of the procedure,’” said District Attorney Robert Morgenthau.
According to the prosecutors, women aged 18 to 30, were “incapacitated” by the drinks. (ANI)
- Oscar-winning songwriter and director Joseph Brooks charged with rapes - Jun 24, 2009
- Accused rapist, Oscar-winner Joseph Brooks 'attacked many more women' - Jan 29, 2011
- Oscar winning songwriter accused of multiple rapes - Jun 24, 2009
- Joe Brooks, Eliot Spitzer two of Manhattan Madam's worst clients - Feb 09, 2011
- Three US men found guilty of sexually exploiting Latin women - May 28, 2011
- New York airport bomb plotter gets life sentence - Dec 16, 2010
- Charges dropped against actor Matthew Fox - Jun 01, 2012
- NYPD detective arrested on sexual misconduct charges - May 19, 2010
- Canadian Muslim charged with helping conspirers in 2009 New York bomb plot - Mar 16, 2011
- Pak origin American gets 15 yr term for logistical support to Al-Qaeda - Jun 10, 2010
- Prosecutors move to drop charges against Strauss-Kahn - Aug 23, 2011
- John Legend accused of stealing song - Jul 08, 2011
- Chris Brown's absence from Grammys not related to Rihanna trial, says rep - Jan 31, 2011
- Robert J. Halderman Produced In Court, Pleads Not Guilty - Oct 03, 2009
- Sutherland Assault On Jack McColough: Charges Dropped - Jul 22, 2009
Tags: american idol, aspiring models, assistant district attorney, beautiful women, gatekeeper, glass of wine, joseph brooks, light up my life, lucier, maxine, new york daily news, oregon california, prosecutors, robert morgenthau, rosenthal, shawni, spruell, trysts, washington state, york daily news