Oscar winning songwriter accused of multiple rapesJune 24th, 2009 - 11:39 am ICT by IANS
New York, June 24 (DPA) Joseph Brooks, who won an Oscar in 1978 for the song “You Light Up”, was arrested Tuesday and charged with sexually assaulting 11 women.
According to Manhattan District Attorney Robert Morgenthau, Brooks, 71, used Craigslist and a talent web site to lure his victims by promising private auditions at his Manhattan apartment. Brooks pleaded not guilty at his arraignment Tuesday and was freed on bail of $500,000.
Morgenthau said that Brooks would pay for the women to travel to New York from the Seattle and Portland areas to audition for a role as a boozy prostitute trying to seduce a man. Once in his apartment Brooks forced them to drink a large glass of red wine, which may have been drugged.
“He may very well have drugged them,” Lisa Friel, chief of the District Attorney’s sex crimes unit, told the New York Daily News. “But he certainly forced them to drink quantities of wine that left them incapacitated.”
Two of the women complained to rape counsellors, leading police to launch an investigation that led to the other women.
Morgenthau said that prosecutors were looking at other possible sexual assaults as far back as 1970.
Also charged was Shawni Lucier, Brooks’ personal assistant, who prosecutors said helped recruit the 18- to 30-year-old women and who faces nine counts of criminal facilitation.
- Oscar-winning songwriter and director Joseph Brooks charged with rapes - Jun 24, 2009
- Oscar-winning songwriter Joseph Brooks accused of rape - Jun 24, 2009
- Joe Brooks, Eliot Spitzer two of Manhattan Madam's worst clients - Feb 09, 2011
- Accused rapist, Oscar-winner Joseph Brooks 'attacked many more women' - Jan 29, 2011
- Ex-IMF chief Strauss Kahn's court hearing postponed - Jul 12, 2011
- Embattled IMF chief could be released on bail pending deal - May 19, 2011
- Designer Anand Jon pleads not guilty to new rape charges - Jan 30, 2010
- Anand Jon faces new rape charges, pleads not guilty (Lead, superseding previous story) - Jan 30, 2010
- 11 Asian men face sexual abuse charges in Britain - Feb 22, 2012
- Craigslist dumps 'adult service' ads - Sep 05, 2010
- Ex-IMF chief Strauss-Kahn released - Jul 02, 2011
- NY judge gives Anand Jon a break in serial sex assault case - Oct 14, 2010
- IMF chief jailed on Rikers Island without bail - May 17, 2011
- Craigslist 'pulls off explicit sex ads globally' - Dec 20, 2010
- Charges dropped against Strauss-Kahn (Lead) - Aug 24, 2011
Tags: 30 year old women, arraignment, craigslist, facilitation, joseph brooks, large glass, lucier, manhattan apartment, manhattan district attorney, new york daily news, personal assistant, portland areas, rapes, red wine, robert morgenthau, sex crimes unit, sexual assaults, shawni, talent web, york daily news