Osbourne campaigns to stop lesbians from being rapedJanuary 27th, 2011 - 12:27 am ICT by IANS
London, Jan 26 (IANS) Singer Kelly Osbourne will lead a campaign to protect lesbians in South Africa from an increasing number of brutal sex attacks.The singer highlighted the practice of “corrective rape” - in which homosexual females are raped in a bid to “cure” their sexual preferences, reports contactmusic.com.
“Please sign this petition!” Osbourne posted on her Twitter account, adding a link to a news item detailing the case of Millicent Gaika, a woman pictured with a heavily bruised face from an attack last year.
“Brave South African activists are risking their lives to ensure that Millicent’s case sparks change. Their appeal to the minister of justice has exploded to over 140,000 signatures, forcing him to respond on national television. If enough of us join in to amplify and escalate this campaign, we could help get urgent action to end ‘corrective rape’,” reads a statement posted on the campaign website, Avaaz.org.
“Let’s call on President Zuma and the minister of justice to publicly condemn ‘corrective rape’, criminalise hate crimes, and lead a critical shift against rape and homophobia. Sign the petition now and share it with everyone.”
- Homosexuality, lesbian relationships unnatural, SC told - Feb 15, 2012
- Homosexuality is like rape, Polish nurses taught - Jun 09, 2012
- Gay rights groups slam Apple for approving 'gay cure' app - Mar 20, 2011
- Facebook accused of promoting 'rape' - Oct 02, 2011
- Homosexuality, lesbian relationships unnatural, SC told (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Government's flip-flop on gay sex ban (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Rangayan opts for crowdfunding for LGBT film - Jul 02, 2012
- Madonna's album released in Russia three days early - Mar 23, 2012
- Russian gay rights activist fined under new law - May 05, 2012
- Scope of penal provision on gay sex wide: SC - Feb 16, 2012
- Activists slam government's stand on gay sex - Feb 23, 2012
- South African women raped for being lesbians - Nov 01, 2011
- Abolish death sentence: Britain - Oct 28, 2011
- Scope of penal provision on gay sex wide: SC (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Osbourne gets broken hand reset - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: activists, avaaz, brutal sex, campaign website, critical shift, females, kelly osbourne, lesbians, london jan, millicent, minister of justice, national television, news item, petition, rape, risking their lives, sexual preferences, signatures, urgent action, zuma