Orissa rape victim nun demands CBI probeOctober 24th, 2008 - 11:03 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 24 (ANI): After two months of living in seclusion the nun who was allegedly raped in Orissas Kandhamal District today narrated her ordeal and demanded a CBI probe, during a press conference in New Delhi.
On October 22, the Supreme Court had denied the plea for a CBI probe in the alleged rape case in which eight people have been arrested till now.
On August 25, the nun’’s said she was stripped and gang raped and then paraded in the streets in front of a dozen policemen.
The church priest was also not spared and the mob tried to burn him by pouring petrol on him.
The nun accused the Orissa Police of being friendly with the attackers and not allowing her to record her complete statement.
“State police failed to stop the crime and protect me from the attackers. They were friendly with them, said the bereaved nun.
They tried their best to prevent me from registering an FIR and complaining against the police. The police didn”t take my statements as I had narrated and they abandoned me half the way, said the nun, adding, I was raped and now I don”t want to be victimized by the Orissa Police. I want a CBI inquiry.”
The region has been witnessing communal violence since August 23, when Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Swami Laxmananda Saraswati and four of his aides were shot dead by unidentified gunmen at his Jalespata Ashram. (ANI)
Following the VHP leaders death, Christians and their places of worship in Kandhamal, some 200 km from state capital Bhubaneswar, have experienced mob attacks. (ANI)
- Court records statement of nun raped in Kandhamal clashes - Nov 03, 2010
- Kandhamal nun gangrape trial begins - Jul 26, 2010
- Security beefed up at Kandhamal ashram after threats - Aug 21, 2010
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- Main accused in Kandhamal nun's rape held - Dec 07, 2009
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011
- Naveen Patnaik could have prevented Saraswati's murder: BJP ex-minister - Mar 10, 2011
- Laxmanananda murder probe: Court slams tardy police probe - May 17, 2011
- Five policemen suspended in Orissas nun rape case - Oct 31, 2008
- 10 kg land mine recovered in Kandhamal - Oct 29, 2011
- Suspected Maoists blow up ambulance, three dead - Nov 28, 2010
- Kandhamal riots case: 15 get three-year jail term - Sep 30, 2010
- 8 get three-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Sep 25, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder - Jun 29, 2010
Tags: attackers, bhubaneswar, cbi inquiry, cbi probe, communal violence, dozen policemen, mob attacks, ordeal, orissa police, places of worship, police the police, rape case, rape victim, saraswati, seclusion, state police, swami, unidentified gunmen, vhp, vishwa hindu parishad