Oprah’s Oz shows creates buzz about Down Under in USJanuary 23rd, 2011 - 2:38 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 23 (ANI): Oprah Winfrey’s shows in Australia have finally aired in the US, but travel agents are waiting to see if they have an impact on tourism numbers.
Winfrey’s ‘Ultimate Australian Adventure’ specials, made with 5 million dollars of Australian taxpayers’ money, have created enormous buzz in its 4pm timeslots in the US last week.
And though Tourism Australia is keen to claim its investment is already yielding rewards, US-based travel agents said the excitement has so far not transformed into concrete bookings, reports the Daily Telegraph.
The shows were aimed at bringing a rush of American tourists Down Under to save the floundering industry.
“The Oprah shows are creating big publicity, but they will not close the deal,” said Andrew Haffenden of US-based agency Australian Natural Adventures.
“What Tourism Australia and (agents) need to start doing now is make this a call to action - this is an opportunity to put Australia up front again,” he added.
“I know my bookings have gone up, but I’m not sure if it’s because of Oprah or not,” said southern California agent Linda Kahn-Ferrell of Robinson Travel Service, who specialises in selling Australian holidays.
“I’m figuring we might not get more calls until next week and people start checking on websites and really making plans,” she added.
US-based tourism operators reported hundreds more visits to their websites during the airing of the specials, while traffic had nearly doubled to Tourism Australia’s own website Australia.com, said Tourism Australia’s marketing general manager Nick Baker.
Baker added that many Americans had called local agents ready to book tickets with no questions asked. (ANI)
- Winfrey sends her 'thoughts and prayers' to Australian flood victims - Jan 21, 2011
- Mayors battle to lure Oprah Winfrey on Oz visit - Sep 19, 2010
- Australia To Pay For Oprah - Sep 14, 2010
- Oprah Winfrey to endorse Aboriginal art - Oct 26, 2010
- Australian Tourism Industry Will Have An Exposure By Oprah Winfrey's Trip, Says Andrew McEvoy - Sep 14, 2010
- I'm not even kind of lesbian, says tearful Oprah Winfrey - Dec 09, 2010
- Oprah's warmth bowls over B-town celebs - Jan 17, 2012
- Oprah's first Oz show to finally premiere tonight - Jan 19, 2011
- Oz store removes golliwogs from display to avoid offending Oprah - Dec 09, 2010
- Oprah Winfrey Reveals Her Favorite Items In "Oprah's Ultimate Favorite Things" 2010 - Nov 22, 2010
- Oprah Winfrey in Mumbai, to attend private party - Jan 16, 2012
- Hugh Jackman Gets ‘Black Eyed’ On Oprah Winfrey Show - Dec 14, 2010
- Oprah Winfrey's Oz visit boosts tourism Down Under - Mar 23, 2011
- From showbiz to slums - Winfrey enjoys meeting 'tolerant' talents - Jan 17, 2012
- Oprah Winfrey to send her audience members to an Australian trip - Sep 14, 2010
Tags: 5 million, american tourists, australian adventure, australian holidays, australian taxpayers, baker baker, california agent, daily telegraph, linda kahn, marketing general, million dollars, nick baker, oprah winfrey, own website, robinson travel, tourism australia, tourism numbers, tourism operators, travel agents, travel service